Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spread of Energy in Space

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1

neomahakala108

Gold Member

is it true that 'Spread of Energy in Space' determines 'Spread of Matter in Space', at given point in time?

i am undergraduate computer scientist of University of Warsaw, MIM (programmer, but also a little of theoretist, hacker & mathematician) with about 5-year Java Programming Professional Experience & more.

trying to learn quantum physics, for Quantum Computers mostly.

perhaps will prepare properly software that can model how energy spread in space determines spread of matter in space, probabilisticly or not.

with time i'll focus on Mathematics, full 5-year College Course, if i can.

edit: provided link to University.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure what you mean by this.

But matter is a form of energy so obviously the above is trivially true - but I suspect I may not be interpreting what you had in mind as was intended.

For the real essence of QM see the following:
    http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
    Bill

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3

neomahakala108

Gold Member

thanks for trying.

Spread of Energy in Space, is placement of Energy Particles in Space.
    Spread of Mass in Space, is placement of Matter Particles in Space.

i am aware of Probabilistic Nature of Quantum Thinking.

Determines means: implies, in non-random way.

But i didn't mean to exclude probabilistic placements.

5. Aug 7, 2014 #4

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Energy particles?

Thanks
    Bill

6. Aug 7, 2014 #5

neomahakala108

Gold Member

such as photons or matter particles.

--

As for original question:

"is it true that 'Spread of Energy in Space' determines 'Spread of Matter in Space', at given point in time?"

as i imagine, but i am just a stupid beginner, it's wavefunction transformation to wavefunction.

as i imagine wavefunction, it can be discrete, probabilistic function of proper (high enough) density. at a given point we have probability of finding a certain number of particles with given Physical Properties.

so conclusion is that wavefunction that includes nonmatter is just sum (disjunction) of matter-only wavefunction with rest of wavefunction.

but i do not know if it's oversimplification, if this makes sense at all - for i lack depth of understanding Physics.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. Aug 7, 2014 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Matter particles are matter. Photons are indeed energy - but electromagnetic energy. Matter is a form of energy from Einstein's famous relation E=Mc^2. Note - and this is very important - it says matter is a form of energy - not energy is a form of mass - which actually doesn't make any sense.

You need to move back a bit.

A wavefunction is just one way of expressing a state.

A state, from the formalism, is, similar to probabilities in that it allows us to calculate long term probabilities. It's not real - it just helps us in calculations.

From that perspective your statement makes no sense.

Indeed it makes no difference whether what you are observing is matter or another form of energy like photons which is EM Energy.

Again - matter (eg electrons, quarks etc) is a form of energy. Electromagnetic radiation (ie photons) is a form of energy. But they are not the same kinds of energy. They can be transformed from one to another - but are different.

Thanks
    Bill

8. Aug 7, 2014 #7

neomahakala108

Gold Member

thanks again.

from abstract thinking viewpoint if matter is form of energy, it's energy in that form.

but this does NOT imply that if something is energy, then it is matter - it can be energy in different form.

9. Aug 8, 2014 #8

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

Understanding subtleties is often important.

Thanks
    Bill

10. Aug 8, 2014 #9

neomahakala108

Gold Member

is probabilistic nature of the state caused by observation interference?

--

why i need this information?

to prepare software for Modelling & Analysis of Particle Interactions on Quantum Level (not just yet, first i'll learn).

Perhaps Physical System on Quantum Level can be modelled as Objects in Space, that when observed give probabilistic results, either Summaries with Probabilities, or a random Values from their Random Event Spaces.

Statistics then can be used.

full article:

http://dragonfly-algorithm.blogspot.com/2014/07/energy-interactions.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  11. Aug 8, 2014 #10

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its inherent in its very nature.

Axiomatically it is a result of the mapping of the outcomes of observations to POVM's. See post 137:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=763139&page=8

If that is what you want to do you need to study a book on advanced QM like Ballentine:
    https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechanics-A-Modern-Development/dp/9810241054

Get a copy and post here with any questions.

You will not learn about QM in enough detail to accomplish that task by posting about foundational issues on this forum.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  12. Aug 9, 2014 #11

neomahakala108

Gold Member

thanks Bill.

added the book to wish list on Amazon.

for now i read 'Quantum Physics' by Alastair I.M. Rae (beginners guide).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook