Spring 2010 Semester: Results, Reflections, and Lessons Learned

In summary: Can't believe I got an A in a class I barely went to. Will have to make more of an effort in future semesters.In summary, Joe achieved straight A's in all of his classes this semester, and also tutored for the university. He recommends that students who struggle to keep up with their work try harder and be passionate about their subjects.
Jack21222
I've seen a few people posting their failures and successes in various threads, so I figured it'd be a good idea to have one combined thread where you post how you did this semester. What classes did you take? How did you do? Did you get any research done? What other trials and tribulations did you go through? What can you do better next time?

This is one place to boast about or bemoan your Spring 2010 semester!

I'd start off, but I'm still taking exams. Who wants to get this party started?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took Engineering Calc 1, Chem 1 & Lab, and Contemporary ideas in Astrophysics and I am proud to say this is my first semester in which I received straight A's! I am only in my second semester of my this degree so I was not able to do any research this spring, but I was asked to do some research in the fall with my calc professor. Good luck to those who are still taking exams. On a side note it is funny to me that I was unable to pass (failed twice) managerial accounting yet I got an A in my Engineering Calc class. It just goes to show when one is passionate enough about a subject, they can accomplish anything.

Joe

Here is a list of the classes I took, along with the grades I got, and the approximate class average:
Introduction to Philosophy:97%, class average:74%​
Introduction to Poetry: 91%, class average:78%​
Physics -Mechanics: 98%, class average:71%​
(Final next week)
Calculus 1:~90%, class average: ~70%​
(teacher doesn't really post grades, this is estimate from exams that I got back and scores I saw around class) (Final next week)
Volleyball (haha...):75%, class average: Unknown​
(Grading is far from fair, there are no tests, just personal improvement charts, weird class)
Physics 1 lab: 88%, class average: Unknown​

I wasn't very good at keeping up to par with my calculus and physics assignments. I also skipped an incredible amount of classes, which obviously hurt my grades. For next semester, I will improve on coming to class with the material under my belt, giving me a head start. I have to improve my diligence basically. Overall okay semester.

I am graduating this semester with a B.S. in physics and astronomy with high honors in astronomy. I still have some exams to take, but none are essential to graduate.

I was taking a course on string theory, cosmology, and an advanced undergraduate physics lab, plus some credit for my honors project.

Calculus I - 97% (A)
Advanced Computer Applications - 95% (A)

Of note, I'm only a part-time student, so those are the only classes I took Spring 2010.

Agent M27 said:
On a side note it is funny to me that I was unable to pass (failed twice) managerial accounting yet I got an A in my Engineering Calc class. It just goes to show when one is passionate enough about a subject, they can accomplish anything.

Joe

Nice job, Joe! I agree 100% with you. I performed miserably (below 2.0) the last semester I was in school (about 2 years ago) because I was unmotivated and ultimately not passionate about the subject... Now look at me!

General Chemistry I A
General Chem I Laboratory A+
Great Lit of the World A
Bridge to Abstract Mathematics A+
Modern Physics A+

1. Introductory Physics II (Electromagnetism & Optics): A
  2. Linear Algebra: A
  3. Calculus III (Multivariable): A
  4. Ordinary Differential Equations: A

Oh and I succesfully worked as a math/physics tutor for the university.

Intro Biochemistry: A
O Chem II: A-
Probability and Statistics: A
Racquetball: A
Multivariable Calc: B-.

Oh, God that B- hurts. My grade dropped from an A to a B- must've done something terrible there...

Advanced String theory A (97%)
Quantum thermodynamics A (99.5%)
Quantum electrodynamics A (100%)
Advanced Topology A (125%)
Advanced Inverse Theory A (1000%)

I had signed up for Calculus II and Physics with Calc. Just prior to the first exams, my job sent me overseas for 2 weeks. Got back and was off traveling again the next week. As a result, I had to drop both and will start over in the fall. Sigh . . .

Physics: 99%
Maths: 92%
English: 89%
Biology: 80%
Chemistry: 81%
Geography: 85%
History: 98%
Civics: 69%
Arabic: 66%

Calculus 2 - 97.9%
General Physics 2 - 97.5%
General Chem 2 - 94.9%
General Chem 2 Lab - 96.5%
Anatomy - 96%

I only go to a community college, so the classes aren't very vigorous.

All you straight A students making me feel ashamed of my subpar scores in easy classes. v_v I've always had the worst grades in electives. Really disappointed in physics, I lost focus near the end.

Intro to Physics B+
Physics Lab A
Sociology B
Cultural Geography B+
Pre-Calculus A(+) if such a thing existed
Intro to Literature B+

Finally got my grades back (except 1, but I'm 99% sure I know what I got in that class)

General Physics 3: A
Computers in Physics: A
Intro to Mathematical Physics: A
Probability Theory: A

Computers in Physics is basically a Labview class. I didn't officially get a grade back for Intro to MathPhys yet, but I was doing so well in the class that my professor approached me about helping him with research. It looks like my senior capstone project will be helping him research Kaluza-Klein dark matter candidates.

billiards said:
Advanced String theory A (97%)
Quantum thermodynamics A (99.5%)
Quantum electrodynamics A (100%)
Advanced Topology A (125%)
Advanced Inverse Theory A (1000%)
What do the percentages mean? 125%, 1000%?
(BTW, your profile says "I graduated with a geophysics degree in 2007, I have forgotten most of it now, except for the seismic processing stuff which I now do for a job". How do you combine such a job with all those courses?)

Landau said:
What do the percentages mean? 125%, 1000%?
(BTW, your profile says "I graduated with a geophysics degree in 2007, I have forgotten most of it now, except for the seismic processing stuff which I now do for a job". How do you combine such a job with all those courses?)

Haha I was wondering if someoe would flag that. It was a joke, designed to poke fun at people who brag about their grades.:smile:

Modern Physics I: B+ 86.29% (lowest A was 93%, average was 69%)
Vector Analysis: A

billiards said:
Haha I was wondering if someoe would flag that. It was a joke, designed to poke fun at people who brag about their grades.:smile:

I think the problem with this thread, and something that almost prevented me from posting it, was people might not even read anybody else's results, they just want to brag about their own. It's likely others didn't even bother reading what you had posted. :-p

In the end, I decided it's best to have some sort of outlet for people to post how they did, to prevent it from cluttering up other threads. I was hoping to provide a spot for people to post the "OMG! I got an A- instead of an A! I'll never get into MIT now!" posts instead of them starting new threads, but I don't think it's working.

Oh well, we're having fun here anyway. Let's continue!

[PLAIN]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6494/gradesc.jpg

Life is good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern Physics - A
Calculus IV - A
Logic Langauge and Proofs - A
Computation for physics - A
Film History - A

and yes, I came here to brag AND read other peoples posts. Congrats guys on another semester completed!

PhDorBust said:
[PLAIN]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6494/gradesc.jpg

Life is good!

19 credits? That's impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
You straight-A physics/math guys are discouraging us A/B physics/math guys. lol.

^Straight up. I almost feel screwed for grad school. Though at the same time this thread is very inspiring. Hahaha

Physics II (E&M): B
Physics III (Optics, Thermo, Modern E&M): A
Ordinary Differential Equations: B
Calculus III (Multivariable): A

tatiana_eggs said:
Nice job, Joe! I agree 100% with you. I performed miserably (below 2.0) the last semester I was in school (about 2 years ago) because I was unmotivated and ultimately not passionate about the subject... Now look at me!

General Chemistry I A
General Chem I Laboratory A+
Great Lit of the World A
Bridge to Abstract Mathematics A+
Modern Physics A+

You're a machine, I machine I tell you! Good job though! Above a 4.0 in all those classes is definitely a feat

Shackleford said:
You straight-A physics/math guys are discouraging us A/B physics/math guys. lol.

Aww man, you have no idea. I was an A/B guy in undergrad, but got washed out of my first year in grad school. :frown:

Jack21222 said:
19 credits? That's impressive.

... that's just ridiculous

1. What is the "Spring 2010 results thread"?

The "Spring 2010 results thread" is a forum or discussion board where individuals can share and discuss their results or findings from scientific experiments conducted during the spring of 2010.

2. Who can participate in the "Spring 2010 results thread"?

Anyone who conducted scientific experiments during the spring of 2010 can participate in the "Spring 2010 results thread". It is open to scientists, researchers, and students from all fields of study.

3. How can I access the "Spring 2010 results thread"?

The "Spring 2010 results thread" can be accessed through various online platforms such as scientific forums, discussion boards, or social media groups. It is recommended to search for the specific thread or group using keywords related to the topic of your experiment.

4. Are there any guidelines or rules for posting in the "Spring 2010 results thread"?

Each platform or group may have their own set of guidelines or rules for posting in the "Spring 2010 results thread". It is important to read and follow these guidelines to ensure a respectful and productive discussion. Some common guidelines may include citing sources, using appropriate language, and avoiding spam or unrelated content.

5. Can I still contribute to the "Spring 2010 results thread" even if I did not conduct any experiments during that time period?

It is best to only contribute to the "Spring 2010 results thread" if you have relevant results or findings from experiments conducted during that time period. However, you can still read and learn from the discussions and findings shared by others in the thread.