Calculating Torque of Spring Actioned Piston

In summary, The conversation is about a physics problem involving a compressed spring and a wheel. The person is seeking help and has attached a drawing for reference. The recommended approach is to use Hook's law for the spring and to derive an equation from a free body diagram to calculate the torque of the wheel based on angular displacement.
cutzzzzz
hi guys, this is my first post (and i am don't know much physics), i have a problem that I've ilustrated in a drawing that i attach to this post. Ok so it goes something like this ... if the spring is compressed manually , when i release it how do i calculate the torque of the wheel?
this is the link to the drawing :
http://i50.tinypic.com/2rfvn21.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
can some1 help me with this problem??

Two equations will be most useful to you. One will be simple Hook's law for the spring. The other you can derive from a simple free body diagram, to show how force at the spring converts to torque to the wheel as a function of angular displacement of the wheel.

1. How do you calculate the torque of a spring actioned piston?

The torque of a spring actioned piston can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the piston by the distance between the force and the pivot point of the piston. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The formula for torque is: torque = force x lever arm.

2. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). These units represent the amount of force applied at a distance from a pivot point.

3. How does the strength of the spring affect the torque of a spring actioned piston?

The strength of the spring affects the torque of a spring actioned piston by determining the amount of force that can be applied to the piston. A stronger spring will be able to apply more force, resulting in a higher torque. However, the distance between the force and the pivot point also plays a role in determining the torque.

4. Can the torque of a spring actioned piston be increased?

Yes, the torque of a spring actioned piston can be increased by either increasing the force applied to the piston or by increasing the distance between the force and the pivot point. This can be achieved by using a stronger spring or by adjusting the position of the piston.

5. How does friction affect the torque of a spring actioned piston?

Friction can decrease the torque of a spring actioned piston by opposing the motion of the piston. This can be reduced by using lubrication or by minimizing the contact between moving parts. However, friction also plays a role in keeping the piston in place and preventing it from rotating uncontrollably.