1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring and ball problem

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child's game consists of a block that attaches to a table with a suction cup, a spring connected to that block, a ball, and a launching ramp. The spring has a constant k. the ball has a mass m, and the ramp raises a height h. The spring is compressed a distance S in order to launch the ball. when the ball leaves the launching ramp its velocity makes and angle with respect to the horizontal.

1 Calculate the velocity of the ball when its leaves the launching ramp (both the magnitude and the direction. Be sure to specify your coordinate system)

2. The spring constant = 1000.0 N/m the spring compression is 4. cm the ball's mass is 55 g, the height of the ramp is 15 cm and the top of the table is 1.2 m above the floor. With what speed will the ball hit the floor?

2. Relevant equations
    Delta y = Vft+1/2gt2
    speed=distance/time

3. The attempt at a solution

I really do not have a clue where to start I have been thinking on how to solve it but all i have done is write down some equations that may be helpful but i really dont know if they are helpful in this problem. Can someone please help me? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    Have you considered conservation of energy?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    yes i had that equation KEf+PEf=KEi+PEi

so 1/2 mvf2 + mgh = 1/2 mvi2 + mgh

so in this case masses cancel and i would have to solve for vf

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Sounds fine by me.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    ok well i know that 1/2mvi^2 = 0 and the mgh final should be 0 too

in that case vf= square root of 2gh

however i got stuck because i there is no value given for h is there a way i can find h or am i suppose to have another equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?