Solving Spring & Block Homework Problem

In summary, the discussion was about finding the velocity of block A at the moment it leaves the horizontal surface in a system with two blocks connected by a spring. One user suggested using Pythagoras Theorem to find the extension x and then using energy conservation to find the velocity. Another user pointed out an error in the equation used and the final answer was confirmed to be 1.5 m/s.
Suraj M
Gold Member

Homework Statement

WIN_20150226_194753.JPG

The figure has 2 blocks, each 320 g connected by a light string. The horizontal surface is smooth. The block A is attached to a spring of spring constant 40 N/m whose other end is fixed 40cm above the horizontal. Initially the spring is vertical and unstretched.

Homework Equations

E= ½kx²
+basic

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered the point where the block leaves the surface.
WIN_20150226_195849.JPG

so $$kx \sin(\theta) =mg$$
taking ##\sin(\theta) = \frac{0.4}{0.4+ x} ##
i get x = 0.1 cm so from that i get s = 0.3 cm
also acceleration of block A is given by
$$a=\frac{ M_B g}{M_A+M_B}$$
so i get ## v = sqrt{2as}##
v = √3
what I'm concerned is the spring has a component of force along the horizontal, but its variable, but also it effects the velocity, the given answer is 1.5 m/s.how do i consider the horizontal component?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrote the whole text of the problem please and explain you notations. What is x? What is the question?

Suraj M said:
also acceleration of block A is given by
$$a=\frac{ M_B g}{M_A+M_B}$$

The acceleration of block A is not constant . The result you have used is obtained if tension were the only force acting on it . There is something else you haven't taken into account .

Instead use energy conservation .

ehild said:
Wrote the whole text of the problem ?
I don't know what you mean, I typed the whole question as given.
And yes I am sorry x is the extension produced in the spring as shown in the diagram.

Tanya Sharma said:
The acceleration of block A is not constant . The result you have used is obtained if tension were the only force acting on it . There is something else you haven't taken into account .

Instead use energy conservation .
Ok I understand, but I still need x right, is the method I found x, right?
using that x, I should find the energy stored in the spring then add to the kinetic energy of the block and equate to change in potential energy(blockB), is this right? Or is there anything else I should be including? And thank you

Well, from post #1 we know the answer is 1.5 m/s, from post #4 we know what x is, but we still don't know the question !

Suraj M said:
I don't know what you mean, I typed the whole question as given.
And yes I am sorry x is the extension produced in the spring as shown in the diagram.

Suraj M said:
Ok I understand, but I still need x right, is the method I found x, right?

I am not sure ,what method you have used to find x . You can use Pythagoras Theorem to find x.

Suraj M said:
using that x, I should find the energy stored in the spring then add to the kinetic energy of the block and equate to change in potential energy(blockB), is this right?

Right .

I may have understood the question , but you need to write the complete question so that other members can understand your work and provide help.

BvU said:
but we still don't know the question !
Oh I'm sorry i didn't realize. Anyway the last part of the question is to find the velocity of the object A at the instant it leaves the horizontal plane.
Tanya Sharma said:
I am not sure ,what method you have used to find x
By this way
Suraj M said:
I considered the point where the block leaves the surface. https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/62/62693-dc7a39c502a2c1b87185def92b37bdda.jpg
so
kxsin(θ)=mg​
kx \sin(\theta) =mg
taking sin(θ)=0.40.4+x\sin(\theta) = \frac{0.4}{0.4+ x}
i get x = 0.1 m so from that i get s = 0.3 cm
Ok tanya, i tried the method you suggested:
$$½kx² +½mv²=m_Bgs$$
where s is the distance moved by Block A along the horizontal.
from the above equation i get 2.17 m/s but the answer is 1.5 m/s mathematical error? i doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
0.1 cm isn't very much. You certain ?

it should be 0.1 m . I have used that in the further calculations. not 0.1cm.

Suraj M said:
$$½kx² +½mv²=m_Bgs$$

The second term is incorrect .

Suraj M said:
from the above equation i get 2.17 m/s but the answer is 1.5 m/s mathematical error? i doubt it.

1.5 m/s is the correct answer .

Oh ok got it , i didn't consider the KE of block B. Thanks a lot all 3 you.

What is the basic concept behind solving a spring and block homework problem?

The basic concept is understanding the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in a system involving a spring and a block. The spring exerts a force on the block, which causes the block to accelerate. This acceleration, in turn, affects the displacement of the spring.

How do I approach solving a spring and block homework problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem, including any given information and what is being asked. Next, draw a diagram of the system and label all known and unknown variables. Then, use equations of motion, Hooke's law, and any other relevant principles to solve for the unknown variable.

What is Hooke's law and how is it used in solving spring and block problems?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it exerts. In solving spring and block problems, Hooke's law is often used to determine the force exerted by the spring on the block.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving spring and block homework problems?

One common mistake is not properly labeling variables and units. Another mistake is using the wrong equation or incorrectly setting up the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Additionally, double-checking the answer and making sure it makes sense in the context of the problem is crucial.

How can I check my answer for a spring and block homework problem?

The best way to check your answer is to plug it back into the original equation and make sure it satisfies all the given information. You can also try using a different method to solve the problem and see if you get the same answer. Additionally, asking a classmate or teacher to review your solution can help catch any errors.