1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring and elevator

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The cable of an elevator of mass M = 1920 kg snaps when the elevator is at rest at one of the floors of a skyscraper. At this point the elevator is a distance d = 15.6 m above a cushioning spring whose spring constant is k = 23100 N/m. A safety device clamps the elevator against the guide rails so that a constant frictional force of f = 13217 N opposes the motion of the elevator. Find the maximum distance by which the cushioning spring will be compressed.

2. Relevant equations
    K1 + U(grav,1) + U(elastic,1) + W(other) = K2 + U(grav, 2) + U(elastic, 2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the above formula for work-energy. I set my origin at the point at which the elevator initially hits the spring. So,
    0 (initially at rest so K1=0) + (1920)(9.8)(15.6) + 0 (spring not yet compressed) -(13217)y2 = 0 (v2=0 so K2=0) + (1920)(9.8)y2 + .5(23100)(y2)^2

Basically I then used quadratics to solve for negative value of y2. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Recalculate the work done by the friction force. Over what distance does it act?

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    oh, should it be y1 - y2, because y2 is negative?

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Sounds right.

6. Feb 17, 2008 #5
    ok now i think my algebra is just screwy because i keep getting an incorrect answer. i have

.5k(y2)^2 + (mg - f)y2 - mgy1 + fy1 = 0

solve for negative value of y2..

7. Feb 17, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Looks good to me. Just plug in the numbers and solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?