How Does Spring Force Affect Kinetic Energy and Work Done on a Block?

In summary, the block in the figure is on a horizontal frictionless surface with a spring constant of 44 N/m. When an applied force of 2.0 N pulls the block in the positive direction of the x axis, the spring stretches until the block stops. At this point, the position of the block is x=2/45 meters, the work done on the block by the applied force is 2d, and the work done on the block by the spring force is -1/11. The kinetic energy of the block is maximum when its position is x=2/45 meters, and the value of this maximum kinetic energy is 0.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

The block in the figurelies on a horizontal frictionless surface, and the spring constant is 44 N/m. Initially, the spring is at its relaxed length and the block is stationary at position x = 0. Then an applied force with a constant magnitude of 2.0 N pulls the block in the positive direction of the x axis, stretching the spring until the block stops. When that stopping point is reached, what are (a) the position of the block, (b) the work that has been done on the block by the applied force, and (c) the work that has been done on the block by the spring force? During the block's displacement, what are (d) the block's position when its kinetic energy is maximum and (e) the value of that maximum kinetic energy?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/ch0/33.gif
[/B]

Homework Equations

Fs=-kx , k=x2/2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm trying to first solve for final x postion xf so that i can find work. which will be equivalent to final kinetic energy.
20150630_171115_zpsxlshgqpp.jpg
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
When the block is at x=2/45 meters then the acceleration of the block will be zero, but the problem asks for where the block stops, which implies the velocity is zero.

J-dizzal said:

Homework Statement

The block in the figurelies on a horizontal frictionless surface, and the spring constant is 44 N/m. Initially, the spring is at its relaxed length and the block is stationary at position x = 0. Then an applied force with a constant magnitude of 2.0 N pulls the block in the positive direction of the x axis, stretching the spring until the block stops. When that stopping point is reached, what are (a) the position of the block, (b) the work that has been done on the block by the applied force, and (c) the work that has been done on the block by the spring force? During the block's displacement, what are (d) the block's position when its kinetic energy is maximum and (e) the value of that maximum kinetic energy?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/ch0/33.gif
[/B]

Homework Equations

Fs=-kx , k=x2/2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm trying to first solve for final x postion xf so that i can find work. which will be equivalent to final kinetic energy.
20150630_171115_zpsxlshgqpp.jpg
[/B]
You really should explain your reasoning for the various steps you're taking.

I see you solved an equation to find some value for x. What is significant about this value you found for x.

Likes Nathanael
Nathanael said:
When the block is at x=2/45 meters then the acceleration of the block will be zero, but the problem asks for where the block stops, which implies the velocity is zero.
K=1/2mv^2 where v=0 . but i was not given mass. so i cannot solve for K here.

SammyS said:
You really should explain your reasoning for the various steps you're taking.

I see you solved an equation to find some value for x. What is significant about this value you found for x.
i erased that equation. i realized that Fs is the spring force not the constant force, so it does not apply to hookes law equation.

J-dizzal said:
K=1/2mv^2 where v=0 . but i was not given mass. so i cannot solve for K here.
Does the mass make a difference?

Nathanael said:
Does the mass make a difference?
i guess not. so Kf=0 also

J-dizzal said:
i guess not. so Kf=0 also
i don't see how to relate the kinetic energies to solving the displacement of the object.

J-dizzal said:
i don't see how to relate the kinetic energies to solving the displacement of the object.
If the kinetic energy is zero, what happened to all the energy?

Nathanael said:
If the kinetic energy is zero, what happened to all the energy?
its all potential energy?

J-dizzal said:
its all potential energy?
Talk to me in math :smile:

Nathanael said:
Talk to me in math :smile:
U=potential engery=work=∫F dx
work=2d for the 2N force
work=∫Fsdx, is Fs=44N/m here? i thought that was the sprink constant k in hookes law?

J-dizzal said:
U=potential engery=work=∫F dx
work=2d for the 2N force
work=∫Fsdx,
Right, this is the work done by each force. For KE to be zero, they must ____ ?
J-dizzal said:
Fs=44N/m here?
On one side you have units of Newtons and on the other side the units are Newtons/meter, so that's a dead giveaway that the equation can't be correct.

Nathanael said:
Right, this is the work done by each force. For KE to be zero, they must ____ ?
On one side you have units of Newtons and on the other side the units are Newtons/meter, so that's a dead giveaway that the equation can't be correct.
ok, that wouldn't make sense.
so we have two work equations which are simultaneous equations at final x position? it wouldn't make sense to set them equal to each other though.

J-dizzal said:
ok, that wouldn't make sense.
so we have two work equations which are simultaneous equations at final x position? it wouldn't make sense to set them equal to each other though.
Well in order for the kinetic energy to be zero, they must add to zero (so that way the net work done on the block is zero).

Or you can look at it in different words: (but the idea is the same)
The work done by the external force must equal the change in (KE+PE) of the system. (PE is potential energy from the spring.)

Nathanael said:
Well in order for the kinetic energy to be zero, they must add to zero (so that way the net work done on the block is zero).

Or you can look at it in different words: (but the idea is the same)
The work done by the external force must equal the change in (KE+PE) of the system. (PE is potential energy from the spring.)
i got -1/11 but the correct answer is positive. did i do the math right?

J-dizzal said:
i got -1/11 but the correct answer is positive. did i do the math right?
It should be positive. Can you show your work?

Nathanael said:
It should be positive. Can you show your work?
2d=-22d2
0=-22d2 - 2d
0= 22d2 +2d
0= 2d(11d+1)
0=11d+1
-1=11d
d=-1/11

J-dizzal said:
2d=-22d2
From the equation Wspring+Wexternal.force=0 you get Wspring=-Wexternal.force
However the force of the spring acts in the opposite direction as the displacement, thus it is doing negative work (so your equation is missing an extra negative sign)

Other than this you're good.

Nathanael said:
However the force of the spring acts in the opposite direction as the displacement, thus it is doing negative work (so your equation is missing an extra negative sign)

ok thanks.
i don't understand what part d is asking, because the kinetic energy is zero.

Nathanael said:

or is it asking for the value of dx here? or would it be 0+dx?

J-dizzal said:
The kinetic energy is zero at the end, but on it's way to the end it wasn't zero. The question is asking you what is the maximum value of the kinetic energy and where does this maximum occur.

I have to go for a bit, so I'll leave you to think about how to solve that one.

ok thanks again.

J-dizzal said:
ok thanks.
In post # 17, Nathanael point out the following:

Nathanael said:

In other words: ##\displaystyle \ W_\text{external}=(KE+PE) \ .##

Solve for KE & find what x makes it a maximum.

solving for KE i got -0.182J.
I don't know why x=0 would not the the x that would make it a maximum because that is when the force of the spring is a minimum. please help thanks.

its my understanding that the kinetic energy of the block is at a maximum when its velocity is greatest. In this problem the maximum velocity would happen when the external force is equal to the spring force? x=0 wouldn't be correct because velocity would also be zero. The box would accelerate to a maximum velocity at the distance when the spring force is the same but in the opposite direction.
Fs=Fc
-44N/m(mx) = 2N
mx=0.0455m​

if you pull a motionless spring and then you leave it what happens? ofcourse, harmonic movement...

1.JPG
2.JPG

J-dizzal said:
solving for KE i got -0.182J.
I don't know why x=0 would not the the x that would make it a maximum because that is when the force of the spring is a minimum. please help thanks.
That solution, KE = -0.182J, can only be for some particular value of x. Moreover, if KE is negative, then either v2 is negative, or m is negative. Neither of those is achievable in reality.

When I solve, ##\displaystyle \ W_\text{external}=(KE+PE) \,,\ ## for KE, I get ##\displaystyle \ KE=W_\text{external}-PE \ . ##

Plug in your expressions for Wexternal and PE, then find the maximum value.

1. What is a spring and energy problem?

A spring and energy problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the potential and kinetic energy of a spring as it is compressed or stretched. This type of problem often involves using Hooke's law and conservation of energy principles.

2. How do I approach solving a spring and energy problem?

To solve a spring and energy problem, you should first identify the given information and what needs to be calculated. Then, use Hooke's law to determine the spring constant and potential energy of the spring. Finally, use conservation of energy principles to calculate the kinetic energy and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is Hooke's law and how is it used in spring and energy problems?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This law is used in spring and energy problems to determine the spring constant, which is needed to calculate the potential energy of the spring.

4. What is conservation of energy and how is it applied in spring and energy problems?

Conservation of energy is the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In spring and energy problems, this principle is used to equate the potential energy of the spring (when it is compressed or stretched) to the kinetic energy of the object attached to the spring.

5. Can you provide an example of a spring and energy problem?

Sure, here is an example: A spring with a spring constant of 50 N/m is compressed by 0.1 meters. If a mass of 2 kg is placed on the spring, what is the maximum height it will reach when released? First, we calculate the potential energy of the compressed spring: PE = (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)(50 N/m)(0.1 m)^2 = 0.25 J. Then, we equate this to the kinetic energy of the mass at its maximum height: KE = (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)(2 kg)v^2. Solving for v, we get v = √(0.25 J / 1 kg) = 0.5 m/s. Using the equation for projectile motion, we can calculate the maximum height: h = (v^2) / (2g) = (0.5 m/s)^2 / (2 * 9.8 m/s^2) = 0.013 m. Therefore, the mass will reach a maximum height of 0.013 meters when released.