1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring and force problem

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a 1 kg mass hangs from a spring with rest length of 2 m and spring constant of 100 N/m. Then, the spring is compressed by 0.5 m. Using up as the positive direction and ignoring drag, give the following with units:

(a) The weight displacement
    (b) The equilibrium position
    (c) The maximum length
    (d) The sign of the initial restoring force
    (e) The restoring force when the length of the spring is 3.15 m

2. Relevant equations
    Fs = -kx
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) .5
    b)This is what i do not know
    c)also do not know
    d)Fs = Force of spring
    e)Fs = 100N/m *3.15m -> 315N

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

a) What is a "weight displacement"? Your answer needs units.
    b) Can you calculate the weight extending the spring? How is this related to the extension of the spring (at equilibrium) and the spring constant?
    c) Quickest way: the oscillation will be symmetric around the equilibrium position.
    d) The answer is a sign (+ or -).
    e) Test your answer with the restoring force at a length of 2m. What do you expect?

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    a) .5m displacement is stretched - un-stretched
    b) I am really confused here, I do not know how to calculate weight of extended spring. Also, where is the equilibrium, at rest length or un-stretched length?

c) How do i see the oscillation of this spring?

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The equilibrium position is the one where it would remain stationary if set stationary. I.e., all the forces balance. This will not be the unstretched position, because some stretch is needed to balance the force of gravity. Neither will it be the instantaneous rest position of the oscillation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook