1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring and mass

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    I got a question. If a mass hangs motionless from a spring, what is the force exerted on the mass by the spring in terms of the spring constant, k?
    So I was thinking when a load of mass m is used on the spring it will stretch by a distance x, and as the extention is directly propotional to the weight the spring should obey Hooke's law. Thus mg=-kx. However the queston asks for the force exerted by the mass and I am not too sure how that is obtained. There is obvioisly no SHM, so I can;t use T=2pi sqroot m/k. any ideas as to how this is solved?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2
    [itex] \Sigma F = 0 [/itex]

the force exerted by the mass is its weight.
  4. Mar 5, 2006 #3
    Specifically, the mass is in equilibrium. Thus the force the spring is exerting on the mass is equal to its weight. The force the mass is exerting on the spring is equal to the force the spring is exerting on the mass, by Newton's Third Law.

5. Mar 5, 2006 #4
    Of course!!. I have been going around in circles:redface: Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?