1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring and masses

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    A spring of stiffness k supports a box of mass M in which is placed a block of mass m. If the system is pulled down a distancde d from the equilibrium position and released, find the force of reaction between the block and the bottom of the box as a function of time. Neglect any air resistance. For what value of d does the block just begin to leave the bottom of the box?

What i considered for this is as follows:
    using newtons second law:
    for the overall system,
    [tex](m+M)a = kd - (m+M)g[/tex]
    then for the block of mass m:
    [tex]ma=F_{normal}-mg[/tex]
    then i subbed in the second equation for ma in the first, and tried to rearrange for [tex]F_{normal}[/tex]
    however i am not sure how to get the force as a function of time, writing a as dv/dt doesnt help since i cannot rearrange it to integrate i think.

thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What would be the equation of motion without the extra block inside the first block?

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    without the extra block it would just be
    [tex] Ma=kd - Mg[/tex]
    is this correct? but then how do i proceed

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That is just a starting equation describing the forces. What physical motion results from those forces? What equation describes the SHM of the mass once the spring with the d distance preload is released?

6. Oct 12, 2006 #5
    [tex] x(t)=d cos (\omega t)[/tex] is what comes to mind. so i can differentiate this twice to obtain acceleration as a function of time, and plug it into one of the equations i had earlier? is this a correct approach? if so what would do i solve for, thanks much appreciated

7. Oct 13, 2006 #6
    no more help i can get on this one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?