What is the Energy Transfer in a Spring and Oscillation Collision?

The final kinetic energy will only be the kinetic energy of the bullet after it has passed through the block. Use this information to solve for the bullet's final velocity.In summary, a 5.00 g bullet with an initial speed of 405 m/s passes through a 1.00 kg block connected to a spring with a spring constant of 950 N/m. After impact, the block moves 5.00 cm to the right. Using conservation of energy, the final speed of the bullet can be found to be m/s and the mechanical energy lost in the collision can be calculated to be J.
parwana
p13_58alt.gif

A 5.00 g bullet moving with an initial speed of v0 = 405 m/s is fired into and passes through a 1.00 kg block, as in Figure P13.58. The block, initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface, is connected to a spring with a spring constant of 950 N/m.

Figure P13.58
(a) If the block moves 5.00 cm to the right after impact, find the speed at which the bullet emerges from the block.
m/s
(b) If the block moves 5.00 cm to the right after impact, find the mechanical energy lost in the collision. J

I don't know where to begin, its so frustrating

Physics news on Phys.org
Not that I wouldn't like to help you, but I'm almost 100% positive I've seen this exact picture in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I suggest you do some searching first. :wink:

I checked the thread and it wasnt much of a help

I tried to use conservation of momentum for this but it doesn't work

Try conservation of energy.

how do I set it up though

.5kx^2= .5mv^2?

The original kinetic energy will be the sum of the spring energy and the bullets remaining kinetic energy after impact.

What is a spring?

A spring is an elastic object, usually made of metal, that can be stretched or compressed and will return to its original shape when the force is removed.

What is oscillation?

Oscillation is the repetitive movement back and forth around a central point or equilibrium position.

What factors affect the period of a spring's oscillation?

The period of a spring's oscillation is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is when a system oscillates with a constant amplitude and no external forces acting on it. Damped harmonic motion is when an external force, such as friction, causes the amplitude of the oscillation to decrease over time.

How is Hooke's Law related to spring and oscillation?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of springs in oscillation.