How Does the Period of Oscillation Change When a Block Detaches from the Wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the period of oscillation for a system consisting of two blocks connected by a spring, initially compressed against a wall and released with no initial velocity. The conversation suggests solving for the distance between the two masses as it follows a simple sine motion. It also discusses the equal and opposite forces acting on the masses and suggests writing equations for each mass and considering the time period between the initial compression and when the left block leaves the wall. Finally, it suggests finding a model for the motion of the two blocks with respect to the center of mass of the spring and adding in the constant velocity of the system as a whole.
Thank you Sammy .

Is post#34 correct ? Are the initial conditions correct ?

I have basic knowledge about differential equations so I have a doubt .

The solution of d2x/dt2 + (2k/m)x =0 is of the form is x=Asin(ωt+θ) but what is the solution of d2x/dt2 + (2k/m)x = (2kL/m) considering there is a constant term (2kL/m) on the right hand side ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In case of such two-body problems one can introduce new coordinates. One is connected to the centre of mass XCM=(m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2). The other is the difference of the position: here it is L=x2-x1.

Transforming the equations of motion you get that (m1+m2)aCM=∑Fi=N where N is the normal force of the wall, till contact is maintained. After loosing contact, the CM moves with constant velocity. That correspond to zero angular frequency.

After loosing contact with the wall, m1a1=k(x2-x1-Lo), m2a2=-k(x2-x1-Lo) Using the notation u=x2-x1-Lo→d^2u/dt^2= -k(1/m1+1/m2). 1/m1+1/m2=1/μ, the reduced mass. u obeys the equation characteristic to SHM: μd2u/dt2=-ku. In our case μ=M/2, ω2=k/μ=2k/M.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Vibhor said:
Thank you Sammy .

Is post#34 correct ? Are the initial conditions correct ?

I have basic knowledge about differential equations so I have a doubt .

The solution of d2x/dt2 + (2k/m)x =0 is of the form is x=Asin(ωt+θ) but what is the solution of d2x/dt2 + (2k/m)x = (2kL/m) considering there is a constant term (2kL/m) on the right hand side ?

The problem does not ask the exact motion, you need to give the time period only.

The solution of an inhomogeneous linear differential equation is equal to xh+X, where xh is the general solution of the homogeneous equation, (with zero on the right-hand side). It is xh=A(sinωt+θ) now.X is the particular solution of the original equation. In this case, it is a constant:X=L. So the whole solution is x=L+Asin(ωt+θ) .

ehild

Likes 1 person
Thank you ehild :smile: .This is probably the first time I am dealing with DE's .You have very nicely explained it .

Please have a look at post#34 and let me know if I have correctly found the initial conditions i.e at t=0 x=L ,dx/dt = D√(k/m) , d2x/dt2 = 0 .

Vibhor said:
Thank you rude man for the guidance.

We can find dx/dt(t=0) .The right block is compressed by D initially .Applying the conservation of energy ,

(1/2)mv22 = (1/2)kD2

dx/dt at t=0 is equal to the speed of the right block when the left block leaves the wall.

dx/dt(at t=0) = D√(k/m)

So now we have the initial conditions at t=0 -> x=L ,dx/dt = D√(k/m) , d2x/dt2 = 0

Do you think this is correct ?

A second-degree diff. eq. only has 2 independent initial conditions, any other is redundant. But yes, what you wrote otherwise is correct. As I said before, you didn't have to actually compute dx/dt(0) but of course it doesn't hurt!

Vibhor said:

Hint: x can never be < 0. Yet a sinusoidal motion in x goes negative as well as positive. The presence of the 2kL/m term keeps x > 0 for all t. BTW all along we have assumed that L > D, obviously.

Vibhor said:
We can find dx/dt(t=0) .The right block is compressed by D initially .Applying the conservation of energy ,

(1/2)mv22 = (1/2)kD2

dx/dt at t=0 is equal to the speed of the right block when the left block leaves the wall.

dx/dt(at t=0) = D√(k/m)
When the left block leaves the wall, also the compression of the spring is zero. So the total energy is that of the kinetic energy of the right block, your equation is correct.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
When the left block leaves the wall, also the compression of the spring is zero. So the total energy is that of the kinetic energy of the right block, your equation is correct.

ehild

Can I write the solution of DE as x=(D/√2)sin(2k/m)t + L ? The angular frequency is (2k/m) and the amplitude as (D/√2) ?

Can I infer that the maximum distance between the blocks during the motion will be L+ (D/√2) and the minimum distance will be L - (D/√2) ?

Vibhor said:
Can I write the solution of DE as x=(D/√2)sin(2k/m)t + L ? The angular frequency is (2k/m) and the amplitude as (D/√2) ?

The angular frequency is ##\omega=\sqrt{2k/m}##, so the solution is ##x=(D/\sqrt2)sin\left(\sqrt{\left(2k/m\right)}\cdot t\right)+L##
Vibhor said:
Can I infer that the maximum distance between the blocks during the motion will be L+ (D/√2) and the minimum distance will be L - (D/√2) ?

Yes, it is true.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Vibhor said:

Looks fine!

Likes 1 person
Sorry for the late response . I was busy with mid term tests .

Thanks everyone for helping me with the problem ,especially ehild and rude man :)

One thing that still bothers me is that we have calculated frequency of oscillations of the distance between the blocks , rather than displacement of a block from its equilibrium position .

Are the two frequencies same ?

Vibhor said:
One thing that still bothers me is that we have calculated frequency of oscillations of the distance between the blocks , rather than displacement of a block from its equilibrium position .

The two blocks are connected to the ends of the vibrating spring, so they must vibrate with the same frequency as the spring length change.

There is no equilibrium position for any of the blocks, as the CM of the system translates. The blocks vibrate with respect to the CM.

ehild

Vibhor said:
Sorry for the late response . I was busy with mid term tests .

Thanks everyone for helping me with the problem ,especially ehild and rude man :)

Each block vibrates with the same frequency as that of the difference distance, but in addition each block moves with constant velocity in the direction of initial motion of the right-hand block.