Spring Compressed and released

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a compressed spring with a spring constant of 3.2N/cm, a 3kg mass sliding down a frictionless incline of height 24cm and inclined at a 23 degree angle, using equations such as Wnc=Efinal-Einitial and Wnc=-f*d to solve for the unknown values of x and h. The person asking for help has attempted the problem twice but has not been successful and is seeking further assistance.
Kavinson22

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant 3.2N/cm is compressed 33cm and released. The 3kg mass skids down the frictionless incline of height 24cm and inclined at a 23 degree angle. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. The path is frictionless except for a distance of .8m along the incline which has a coefficient of friction of .5.

Homework Equations

Wnc=Efinal - Einitial
mvf^2/2- kx^2/2+mgh

Wnc=-f*d
µmgcos23*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to solve it twice so far and have gotten the answers wrong. I may have my equations that I am using wrong. I am also having trouble figuring out x and h.

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not say how are the spring and mass related.

ehild

1. What is spring compression?

Spring compression is the process of applying a force to a spring, causing it to compress and store potential energy.

2. How is a spring released?

A spring is typically released by removing the force that was applied to compress it, allowing the stored potential energy to be released and the spring to return to its original shape.

3. What is the purpose of compressing and releasing a spring?

Compressing and releasing a spring can be used for various purposes, such as storing and releasing energy, controlling motion, or measuring force.

4. How do you calculate the potential energy stored in a compressed spring?

The potential energy stored in a compressed spring can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2*k*x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is compressed.

5. What factors can affect the compression and release of a spring?

The compression and release of a spring can be affected by factors such as the spring's material, thickness, length, and the amount of force applied to it.