Spring compressed by two boxes

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a problem in their final exam. They got a low grade and are unsure about their solution. The problem involves a spring compressed by two boxes of equal mass, with one box moving with a given velocity. The student attempted to solve the problem using the conservation of momentum and energy equations but suspects they made a mistake in their calculations.
madah12

Homework Statement

there is a problem in my final that I can't actually remember the values of the variables but I got 1 out of 4 grade in it and I was wondering what's wrong with my solution

I am just going to write the variables because I don't know the numbers:

a spring compressed equal distances by two boxes of the same mass the spring is not attached to the boxes when it is released one of the boxes moves with a velocity v calculate the total compression distance of the spring

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

by the conservation of momentum v1=-v2 and they have the same magnitude
E1=E2
.5k xT^2= .5m(v1)^2 + .5m(v2)^2= mv^2
xT=((2mv^2)/k)^.5

(v_1 ,m and k are given and the spring's mass is negligible )

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your answer looks good

you must have done some mistake in calculation

yes I thought so too I did it so fast I didn't revise the calculations

It is difficult to provide a specific response without knowing the values of the variables and the exact problem you were given. However, it is possible that there may have been a mistake in your calculations or in understanding the concept of conservation of momentum. It is also important to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent. If you are still unsure, I would recommend seeking help from your professor or a tutor to review your solution and identify any errors.

What is a "spring compressed by two boxes"?

A "spring compressed by two boxes" refers to a scenario in which a spring is placed between two boxes and compressed by the weight of the boxes.

How does a spring become compressed by two boxes?

A spring becomes compressed by two boxes when the weight of the boxes pushes down on the spring, causing it to compress and store potential energy.

What happens to the potential energy of a spring compressed by two boxes?

The potential energy of a spring compressed by two boxes is stored in the spring and can be released when the spring is allowed to expand back to its original length. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, as the spring and boxes move apart.

What factors affect the compression of a spring by two boxes?

The compression of a spring by two boxes is affected by the weight of the boxes, the stiffness of the spring, and the distance between the boxes and the spring.

Can the compression of a spring by two boxes be reversed?

Yes, the compression of a spring by two boxes can be reversed by removing the weight of the boxes and allowing the spring to expand back to its original length. This will release the potential energy stored in the spring.