1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Compression? (Mastering Physics Problem 10.69)

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    Spring Compression??? (Mastering Physics Problem 10.69)

1. A 21.0 kg box slides 4.0 m down the frictionless ramp shown in the figure, then collides with a spring whose spring constant is 130 N/m.

2. 1. What is the maximum compression of the spring? (in meters)

3. I have attempted to determine the max compression of the spring by finding the Potential energy of the block [Ug=mgh]. Then using the potenital energy of the block [Ug = Us] (potential energy of the srping) to find the distance the spring compresses [Us=(1/2)k(∆s)^2]. I messed up on my calculations and found 3.3 meters was close. I found that by calculating Ug=(21kg)(9.8m/s^2)(cos(30))...the height should be sin(30) so I don't know how I got close. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You could also define the 'zero level' of potential energy at the point at which the spring is compressed by an amount ∆. Further on, use energy conservation from the initial point to that point and you should get a quadratic equation which you can solve for ∆. (The potential energy of the block is completely transformed into the potential energy of the compressed string.)
  4. Dec 3, 2006 #3
    so I got that the compression of the spring will be around 3.3 meters. So we add the ∆s from [Us=(1/2)k(∆s)^2] using Ug=(21kg)(9.8m/s^2)(cos(30)) for the Ug of the block and then the ∆s for the block sitting on the spring U=(21kg)(9.8)(cos(30)). My answer is still a little off (by like 0.1). Any idea's?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?