1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring compression physics problem

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    A 1.5kg object is held 1.2m above a spring with force constant 320N/m. The object is dropped on the spring how far does the object compress the spring?

Alright so what i did was mgh=0.5kx^2 but the answer is different from the book. I guess is when the object touches the spring, its exerting a force downward to the spring due to gravity so i tried mg(h+x)=0.5kx^2 and solve the equation however this is wrong again.....Can someone tell me whats wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Springs!!!

That should work just fine. (It's a conservation of energy problem.) Why do you say it's wrong?

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3

So you mean my second attempt is correct? Well, the answer i got is different from the one in my book.

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.
    Show what you did and what the book says.

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5

Hey doc my bad. The book uses g=10 instead of 9.81 hence the difference sorry about that. Thanks man!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook