Spring compression physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a 1.5kg object being dropped onto a spring with a force constant of 320N/m. The individual initially uses the equation mgh=0.5kx^2, but realizes that the answer is different from the book. They then try mg(h+x)=0.5kx^2, but still get a different answer. After some discussion, it is determined that the book uses a different value for acceleration due to gravity.
semc
A 1.5kg object is held 1.2m above a spring with force constant 320N/m. The object is dropped on the spring how far does the object compress the spring?

Alright so what i did was mgh=0.5kx^2 but the answer is different from the book. I guess is when the object touches the spring, its exerting a force downward to the spring due to gravity so i tried mg(h+x)=0.5kx^2 and solve the equation however this is wrong again...Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

semc said:
...so i tried mg(h+x)=0.5kx^2 and solve the equation however this is wrong again...Can someone tell me what's wrong?
That should work just fine. (It's a conservation of energy problem.) Why do you say it's wrong?

So you mean my second attempt is correct? Well, the answer i got is different from the one in my book.

semc said:
So you mean my second attempt is correct?
Yes.
Well, the answer i got is different from the one in my book.
Show what you did and what the book says.

Hey doc my bad. The book uses g=10 instead of 9.81 hence the difference sorry about that. Thanks man!

1. What is spring compression?

Spring compression is the reduction in length or volume of a spring due to an external force or load being applied to it. This results in the spring storing potential energy, which can be released when the force is removed.

2. How is spring compression measured?

Spring compression is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters. The amount of compression can be determined by measuring the change in length of the spring from its original, relaxed state to its compressed state.

3. What factors affect the amount of spring compression?

The amount of spring compression is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the stiffness of the spring (measured by its spring constant), and the initial length of the spring. The material and temperature of the spring can also impact its compression.

4. How does Hooke's law relate to spring compression?

Hooke's law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of compression or extension of the spring. This means that as the force applied to a spring increases, the amount of spring compression also increases.

5. What is the relationship between spring compression and potential energy?

Spring compression is directly related to the potential energy stored in a spring. As a spring is compressed, it stores potential energy that can be released when the force is removed. The greater the amount of compression, the more potential energy the spring contains.