1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant for a fluid

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1
    A u tube open at both ends and a uniform cross section contains a mas of mercury,m and a density of 'rho' if the level is slightly disturbed show the surface oscillates with a periodic time of

Tn=2pi sqrt[(m/2g'rho'a)]

where a is the cross sectional area.

i understand how to do this question if it were a spring with a spring constant of k or whatever but i dont know how to do it for a fluid.

I know that circular frequency is sqrt[m/m] and that the frequency is circular frequency/2pi and the time period is 1 over frequency.

the question says the desired result should be found using newtons laws and the energy method.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You have, of course, tried a google search on "u tube mercury oscillations"? :wink:

4. Apr 8, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about the force of a spring stretched by a distance. Then think of the force on a column of Mercury in a condition of imbalance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted