What is the Effective Spring Constant for a System in Series?

In summary, the problem involves two light springs, one hanging from the other, with a mass hanging from the lower end. The goal is to find the total extension distance and effective spring constant of the pair of springs, which are described as being in series. To solve the problem, one should draw a force diagram and use Hooke's Law, with the equation k = 1/k1 + 1/k2, to determine the spring constants. Then, the distance can be calculated using the equation D = (mg)(k1k2)/(k1+k2).
student 1

Homework Statement

A light spring with spring constant k1 hangs from a second light spring, which has spring constant K2. An object of mass m hangs at rest from the lower end of the second spring. A. Find the total extension distance of the pair of springs. B. Find the effective spring constant of the pair of springs as a system. We describe these springs as in a series.

Homework Equations

Hooke's Law K=mg/d

The Attempt at a Solution

Where should I start? Would just combine the k's I do not know where to go with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should draw out the force diagram and get the force equations from them. You should get 2 equations and they are all you need

I'd actually do part B first. They are asking you for k, the spring constant for both springs. If the springs are in series, as a rule, [tex]k = \frac{1}{k1} + \frac{1}{k2}[/tex]. Notice that the resulting k value will be less then both k1 and k2, meaning that the resultant spring will oscillate more then k1 or k2.

Now that you know the k value, you can plug that into hooke's law to get the distance

So my D=(mg)(K1K2)/(K1+K2)

Hi student 1,

student 1 said:
So my D=(mg)(K1K2)/(K1+K2)

No, that's not quite right. Notice that it does not have the right units (meters on the left, N[itex]^2[/itex]/m on the right).

blaaaah i forgot a very important part in the equation i gave you: [tex]\frac{1}{k} = \frac{1}{k1} +\frac{1}{k2}[/tex]. My apologies, student1

What is the spring constant in a system?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of how stiff or stretchy a spring is. It is represented by the letter "k" and is measured in units of force per unit length (such as N/m or lbs/in).

How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What factors can affect the spring constant in a system?

The spring constant can be affected by the material and shape of the spring, as well as the temperature and any external forces acting on the spring. Additionally, the number of coils and the diameter of the wire used to make the spring can also impact the spring constant.

How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a system?

The spring constant determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress a spring. A higher spring constant means that a greater force is required to produce the same amount of displacement, resulting in a stiffer spring. Conversely, a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.

Can the spring constant change in a system?

Yes, the spring constant can change in a system. This can occur if the material of the spring is altered, if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit, or if external forces are applied to the spring. Additionally, changes in temperature can also affect the spring constant.