Find Spring Constant k Using Mass & Time Values

In summary, the conversation is about finding the period (T) of oscillation using the formula T=2π√(m/k) and rearranging it to find k. The person asking the question had some trouble understanding the formula at first but eventually realizes that they can find the period by dividing the given time by the number of oscillations. The expert in summarizing advises to focus on the goal and not overthink the problem.
HELP_786
how would i go about finding k with given values for mass and time?

i have seen these equations over and over...but i feel like I am missing something very important that i need..please help me

T=2π√(m/k))

F=-kx

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]T= 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow T^2=\frac{4 \pi^2 m}{k}[/tex]

Can you rearrange for k now?

Last edited:
o I am sorry i meant how would I go about finding T(period) with given values for time and mass...i forgot to proof read :redface:

those are the formulas i keep seeing everywhere

for example if i had .10kg and 8.86 seconds for the time to find the period would i do this:

T2=(4π2m)/((4π2m)/(8.86))

and then at the end take the square root

?

How exactly was the time measured?

in seconds

8.86 seconds would be the average time for 10 vibrations in a simple harmonic motion

HELP_786 said:
8.86 seconds would be the average time for 10 vibrations in a simple harmonic motion

Period(T) is the time taken for one oscillation/vibration.

10 oscillations/vibrations take 8.86 seconds. How much time would 1 oscillation take?

OH! so just divide 8.86s by 10 rite??

HELP_786 said:
OH! so just divide 8.86s by 10 rite??

That should yield the time period, yes.

i don't believe i didnt realize that! thanku so much! ...im thinking too much lol

HELP_786 said:
i don't believe i didnt realize that! thanku so much! ...im thinking too much lol

You just need to think about what it is you want to find.

thanx again! =D

What is the formula for finding the spring constant k using mass and time values?

The formula for finding the spring constant k is k = (4π²m)/T², where m is the mass of the object attached to the spring and T is the period of oscillation (time for one complete cycle).

What are the units for the spring constant k?

The units for the spring constant k are typically N/m (newtons per meter) or kg/s² (kilograms per second squared).

Can the spring constant k change?

Yes, the spring constant k can change depending on factors such as the material and length of the spring, as well as the mass attached to it. It can also change if the spring experiences fatigue or damage over time.

What if the mass and time values are not in the correct units?

If the mass is not in kilograms (kg) and the time is not in seconds (s), then the resulting spring constant k will not be in the correct units. It is important to convert any given values to the correct units before plugging them into the formula.

Are there any limitations to using mass and time values to find the spring constant k?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. The formula assumes a simple harmonic motion, meaning the spring is ideal and there are no outside forces affecting the motion. In reality, there may be factors such as friction or air resistance that can affect the accuracy of the calculated spring constant.