Calculating Spring Constant for SHM with Bullet Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bullet fired into a wooden block on a spring, resulting in simple harmonic motion. The individual is given the amplitude, mass of the block and bullet, and velocity of the bullet, and is asked to find the spring constant. They first use Hooke's law to calculate the spring constant, but then consider the conservation of energy to find velocity and eventually the spring constant. They question the drastic decrease in bullet velocity upon impact and discuss the relevance of weight in the equation. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the total energy in the system.
Aphrael
I have a problem in which a bullet is fired into a wooden block on a spring. At the time of the impact the block and the bullet inter into SHM. I am given amplitude, the mass of both the block and bullet, and the velocity of the bullet and am asked to give the spring constant.

I was using Hooke's law where mg=-kx. I was calculating using the amplitude for x and the mass of the block (which is attached to the spring) for m. However, this did not seem to use all of the information given and I was wondering if I am missing something or if it is just a trick question.

I then tried using m1v1=(m1+m2)v2 and (1/2)(m1+m2)v2^2=(1/2)kA^2, but when I plugged that value I found back into Hooke's law it did not give me any of my mass combinations.

What am I supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aphrael said:
I then tried using m1v1=(m1+m2)v2 and (1/2)(m1+m2)v2^2=(1/2)kA^2,
That looks OK to me. You have an inelastic collision, after which energy is conserved. Looks to me that you've used all the information given: speed, masses, and amplitude.
but when I plugged that value I found back into Hooke's law it did not give me any of my mass combinations.
What do you mean when you say you plugged it back into Hooke's law? To find what?
What do you mean by "did not give me any of my mass combinations"?

Well my values were mass of bullet=5g mass of block=2.kg amp=11 cm and v of bullet=650m/s

I used m1v1=(m1+m2)v2 to find that v2=1.3m/s (I'm not sure if that's right though).

Then plugging that into the second formulat I cound K=350N/m

I put that in kx=mg (350)(.11)=(m)(9.81) and found m=3.92kg. This did not seem right because my two masses combined were 2.505kg.

Aphrael said:
Well my values were mass of bullet=5g mass of block=2.kg amp=11 cm and v of bullet=650m/s

I used m1v1=(m1+m2)v2 to find that v2=1.3m/s (I'm not sure if that's right though).
The equation is correct, but recheck your arithmetic.

I put that in kx=mg (350)(.11)=(m)(9.81) and found m=3.92kg.
Why would you use that equation? I presume that the block and spring are arranged horizontally (on a frictionless table, perhaps)? Why would the weight (mg) be relevant?

You would use kx = mg if you had a mass hanging from a spring and wanted to find the equilibrium position.

Alright. So my math in the first section is (.005kg)(65)=(2.kg+.005kg)(v2) Thus v2 does equal 1.3m/s. Which results in k=350N/m. I guess the spring constant sounds right but it just seems drastic that when the bullet hit the block it would drop from 650m/s to 1.3m/s. Where that bothered me was I guess I've watched too many movies where bullets have more effect then that. :) Does that seem right?

Aphrael said:
Alright. So my math in the first section is (.005kg)(65)=(2.kg+.005kg)(v2) Thus v2 does equal 1.3m/s.
Is the bullet speed 650 or 65 m/s?

Sorry, 650m/s. I used that when finding finding 1.3 m/s as v2. I just typed it wrong here.

Redo the calculation one more time.

(.005)(650)=3.25=(2.505)(v2)

v2=3.25/2.505=1.3m/s

Aphrael said:
(.005)(650)=3.25=(2.505)(v2)

v2=3.25/2.505=1.3m/s
Is the mass of the block 2 or 2.5 kg?

2.5 kg is the mass of the block and the mass of the bullet is 5 g or .005kg.

No problem. In a previous post I thought you had written 2kg.

Oops, sorry. Well I did think 2.5 kg. :) Thank you for your help.

One more question. Since I used KE=PE to find the v2 would the total energy still be KE+PE or just one of them?

Aphrael said:
One more question. Since I used KE=PE to find the v2 would the total energy still be KE+PE or just one of them?
Both! :wink:

Total energy always equals KE + PE. But initially PE = 0, so Total Energy = initial KE + 0. And when at full amplitude, KE = 0, so Total Energy = 0 + final PE. So, initial KE = final PE.

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per length, such as newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where F is the force in newtons and x is the displacement in meters.

3. What affects the value of the spring constant?

The value of the spring constant is affected by several factors, including the material and size of the spring, as well as the number of coils and the way it is wound. The stiffness of the material and the tightness of the coils play a significant role in determining the spring constant.

4. How does the spring constant relate to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. The spring constant is the constant of proportionality in this relationship, and it determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance.

5. What is the significance of the spring constant in real-world applications?

The spring constant is an important factor in understanding the behavior of springs in various applications. It is used in designing and manufacturing springs for different purposes, such as in mechanical devices and systems. It also plays a role in determining the natural frequency of a spring-mass system and can be used to predict its response to external forces.