Finding Spring Constant Question

In summary, the student is trying to find the spring constant for a 3 point spring, but is having difficulty because of the incline. The student finds the coefficient of friction and uses that to find the incline aspect of gravity.
mohabitar
2SedG.png

For number 3, I'm trying to find that spring constant. We know that k=mg/x. So it should be 9.5(9.8)/.13, which is incorrect. However since it is on an incline, we should find the incline aspect of gravity, which I found to be 3.5, but that didnt work either. I've tried a lot of different values, none seem to work. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got to include the component of gravity acting down the plane, friction up the plane, and the spring force. Please show how you arrived at your solution.

Well I haven't really arrived at a solution. I was just playing with numbers and plugging them in the system until I got a green checkmark, but that's not really what I should be doing. Am I using the right equation, k=mg/x? And for m I'd use 9.5 and for g, I'd have to find the incline aspect of gravity using trig, and for x id just use .13? That should give me the answer I'm looking for or is there more?

You can't just be checking boxes until a green checkmark shows up. You've got to understand the basic concepts of vectors, friction, forces, Newton's laws, free body diagrams, etc. You might want to start by showing us your method for the solution of the 2nd problem. Read up in your text on incline planes , or search on-line.

For the second problem, I used a formula that was discussed in a pre-lecture video example: a=9.8(u[k]cosx-sinx), x being theta and u[k] being the coefficient of friction. Not really sure how that formula works, but it got me the right answer. I really want to understand this stuff rather than just plug in numbers into formulas, but there's just so much work to do in this class where it doesn't give me much time to spend some quality time on each problem, so I am left with just doing everything as quickly as possible :(

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, and is represented by the letter 'k'. It is defined as the force required to stretch or compress a spring by one unit of length.

2. How do you find the spring constant?

The spring constant can be found by using Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed. By measuring the force applied to a spring and the resulting change in length, the spring constant can be calculated using the formula k = F/x, where F is the force and x is the change in length.

3. What are the units of spring constant?

The units of spring constant depend on the units used for force and length in the calculation. In SI units, the standard unit of spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material, shape, and size of the spring. It may also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit, causing it to permanently deform.

5. Why is finding the spring constant important?

Finding the spring constant is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows for the prediction and control of the behavior of springs in various applications. It is especially crucial in designing and building structures or machines that rely on springs for their functioning, such as in suspension systems, shock absorbers, and measuring instruments.