1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant question

1. Apr 9, 2005 #1
    with no friction- what spring constant would fire a 10 g mass to a height of 100 m. the spring is compressed to 10 cm.

i know k=F/x but i don't know how to find the force for this problem, because i need to find the acceleration and there is no time unit given. any help???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2005 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't really need to consider the force. What is the potential energy stored in the spring before it is released? What is the potential energy of the mass when it reaches its maximum height? What is the relationship between those two quantities? I hope you see what I'm getting at.

4. Apr 9, 2005 #3
    Use conservation of energy. The potential energy of a spring that has been compressed over a distance x is kx²/2

You also know that at the 'end' of the motion, the object must be 100m above the horizontal. This corresponds to a potential energy of mg100 (due to gravity)...

regards
    marlon

5. Apr 9, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read the question in terms of energy. What must be the force F=kx such that the work

[tex]W = \int_{0}^{0.10} kx dx [/tex]

done by it over 10cm is equal to the potential energy associated with an height of 100m above the surface of the earth?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  6. Apr 9, 2005 #5
    how do i find the potential energy of the spring if i don't know the spring constant?

7. Apr 9, 2005 #6
    like i said, the potential energy is kx²/2. You can prove this formula by integrating the force wtr displacement x, but that's not necessary.

You will need this formula to find k...

marlon

8. Apr 9, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U need to know the minimum velocity needed for the body to reach 100 m in a constant gravity field.

Daniel.

9. Apr 9, 2005 #8
    Nope, that is not necessary...

marlon

10. Apr 9, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What?

Daniel.

11. Apr 9, 2005 #10
    You don't need to know the minimal velocity.

marlon

12. Apr 9, 2005 #11
    thanks so much for the help everyone, i hope i'm understanding now...
    so the potential energy of the object when it reaches a height of 100m is mgh, .01kg x 10m/s^2 x 100m=10Nm=10J
    is the potential energy of the object equal to the potential energy of the spring? if so, i have 10Nm=(k(1m)^2)/2 and k=20N/m
    please tell me i'm at least on the right track...

13. Apr 9, 2005 #12
    That is correct

yes indeed, that's the clue of the story

Beware, the compression is 10 cm NOT 1m !!!

marlon

14. Apr 9, 2005 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,Marlon,gravity field is conservative,so you could use the PE,too_Okay.

Daniel.

15. Apr 9, 2005 #14
    thank you so much, marlon. 10cm is .1 m, jeez! at least i know how to do this problem now...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?