1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Constant Question

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    An archer pulls her bowstring back .400 m by exerting a force that increases uniformly from zero to 230 N. (a) what is the equivalent spring constant of the bow?
    (b) How much work does the archer do in puling the bow?

The spring potential energy is defined by PE = 1/2kx^2. So, what does the k stand for? Force? That doesn't work. x must be the displacement of the string, which is .40, so 1/2k times (.40)^2? Friction isn't an issue, so its non conservative force. I know the theorem, but am having difficulty using it. :cry:

I know work is defined by Force times the displacement(x) and that equals Force cos theta times displacement(x). But I haven't been able to figure out theta.

Thank you, ahead of time, for your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at "Hooke's Law." F = kx . k is the spring constant. F (in this equation) is maximum force.
  4. Oct 22, 2005 #3
    Thanks! That was what I was missing, thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?