Calculating Spring Constant & Height of Ball

In summary: Thank you for helping me!In summary, the conversation discussed a scenario where a spring with a constant of 2500N/m is compressed by 6.0cm and then an additional 2.0cm. It was determined that the work done on the spring in compressing the final 2.0cm was 200N and the maximum height of the ball propelled by the compressed spring was 19.74m. The formula for finding the maximum height was discussed, as well as the concept of conservation of energy.
NewJersey
A spring having constant of 2500N/m is compressed 6.0cm and then additional 2.cm. Then the compressed spring is used to propel a 0.25-kg ball vertically upward.

a) The additional work done on the spring in compressing te final 2.0cm was ?
b) the maximun heignt of the ball was

part a) I know the formula for spring constant is Fs=-kx, and I know cm is not the right unit of measured it should be changed to m so it be .06m and .02m and that's a total of .08

So for a it should be Fs= 2500N/M * .08m= 200

now part b I am a little confused
I don't know what equationi should used,

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Good job on putting the units in, so now use them. 2500(N/m)*0.08m=200N. N is not a unit of work. You've computed the force, not the work. With a non-constant force you can either integrate F*ds or in the case of spring use PE=(1/2)*k*x^2.

Okay I see what you are saying I found the force instead of work?

1/2*2500N/M*(.060)^2= 4.50J

1/2*2500N/m*(.080)^2 -4.50J= 3.5J

Now how do I find the max height, I am confused about that part

so for part b can I used the equation h=Kx^2/2mg

2500N*M * (.080)^2 / 2*.25kg*9.87m/s = 19.74m

Use conservation of energy. The potential energy that you put into the spring turns into the gravitational potential energy (do you know the formula for that?) of the ball at it's maximum height h.

NewJersey said:
so for part b can I used the equation h=Kx^2/2mg

2500N*M * (.080)^2 / 2*.25kg*9.87m/s = 19.74m

You beat me. Yes. The equation you've written down is actually PE(grav)=mgh=PE(spring)=k*x^2/2.

ok, Yeah I just saw the equation in my notes.

1. How do you calculate the spring constant for a given spring?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, can be calculated by dividing the force applied to a spring by the distance the spring stretches or compresses. This means that the spring constant is equal to the force divided by the displacement: k = F/x. The unit for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. What is the relationship between spring constant and the height of a ball?

The spring constant is inversely proportional to the height of the ball. This means that as the spring constant increases, the height of the ball decreases. This relationship can be seen in the equation h = (k/m) * (1/2 * v^2), where h is the height, k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the ball, and v is the velocity of the ball.

3. Can the spring constant change for a given spring?

Yes, the spring constant can change for a given spring. It can change if the material of the spring is altered, if the length or thickness of the spring is changed, or if the spring is subjected to extreme temperatures. In addition, the spring constant can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit.

4. How do you calculate the height of a ball using the spring constant?

The height of a ball can be calculated using the formula h = (k/m) * (1/2 * v^2), where h is the height, k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the ball, and v is the velocity of the ball. This formula is derived from the conservation of energy principle, where the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the ball is launched.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating spring constant and the height of a ball?

Calculating spring constant and the height of a ball has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to design and optimize springs for various mechanical devices, determine the trajectory of a ball in sports like basketball or golf, and analyze the performance of elastic materials in structures such as bridges and buildings. Additionally, understanding these concepts can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as spring-loaded devices or shock absorbers.