Calculate Maximum Spring Compression: 0.4 kg Object, 80 N/m Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Hooke's Law and the kinetic energy formula to determine the maximum distance a spring will compress after being struck by an object of mass 0.4kg at 8m/s. The spring constant is given as 80N/m. There is confusion about which formula to use, but it is ultimately concluded that the kinetic energy formula should be used, taking into account the potential energy stored in the compressed spring. The conversation ends with a request for assistance with the problem.
cooney88
Q. An object of mass o.4kg slides at 8m/s across a frictionless path before striking one end of a spring that is fixed at the other end. the spring constant is 80N/m. the maximum distance, in metres, by which the spring compressed is : ans?

I a not sure wether to use hookes law (f=ks) or the kinetic energy formula Ek = .5kmv^2

when i used hookes law i got an answer of 0.04 but when i use the kinetic energy forumla i got 0.57. I know it doesn't really make any sense to use hookes law as u can't find the force, only the momentum (0.4x 8)

any help with this would be greatly apreciated

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're answering your own question. :wink:

so its the kinetic formula cos it wouldn't make sense to use the hookes law right? but since when can u have the spring constant in a kinetic energy formula?

cooney88 said:
so its the kinetic formula cos it wouldn't make sense to use the hookes law right?
Yes, you'll need to use energy conservation.
but since when can u have the spring constant in a kinetic energy formula?
Consider the potential energy stored in a compressed spring--that's where the spring constant appears.

cheers buddy

1. How do you calculate the maximum spring compression?

The maximum spring compression can be calculated using the formula F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the maximum compression of the spring.

2. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is the force required to compress or stretch a spring by a certain distance.

3. What is the unit for spring constant?

The unit for spring constant is newtons per meter (N/m).

4. How do you determine the mass of the object in the calculation?

The mass of the object is determined by the weight of the object, which is usually given in kilograms (kg).

5. Can the maximum spring compression be greater than the length of the spring?

No, the maximum spring compression cannot be greater than the length of the spring. The maximum compression is limited by the length of the spring and the force applied to it.