1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Constant

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    Q. An object of mass o.4kg slides at 8m/s across a frictionless path before striking one end of a spring that is fixed at the other end. the spring constant is 80N/m. the maximum distance, in metres, by which the spring compressed is : ans?

I a not sure wether to use hookes law (f=ks) or the kinetic energy formula Ek = .5kmv^2

when i used hookes law i got an answer of 0.04 but when i use the kinetic energy forumla i got 0.57. I know it doesnt really make any sense to use hookes law as u cant find the force, only the momentum (0.4x 8)

any help with this would be greatly apreciated

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It sounds like you're answering your own question. :wink:

4. May 14, 2009 #3
    so its the kinetic formula cos it wouldnt make sense to use the hookes law right? but since when can u have the spring constant in a kinetic energy formula?

5. May 14, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you'll need to use energy conservation.
    Consider the potential energy stored in a compressed spring--that's where the spring constant appears.

6. May 14, 2009 #5
    cheers buddy

7. May 14, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook