1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    A massless spring of length .310 m is compressed to 71.0 % of it's relaxed length, and a mass M=.150 kg is placed on top and released from rest. The mass then travels vertically and it takes 1.10 s for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant, in N/m. Use g= 9.81 m/s^2. Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible.

I really have no idea how to do this problem. I tried using conservation of energy and solving for k, I'm not sure if I even have all of the forms of energy
    (1/2)kx^2= (1/2)mv^2
    (1/2)k(.2201)^2= (1/2)(.150)(10.78^2)
    to get 360.0 N/m , which wasn't right

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

When you multiply .310 m by 71%, what you're getting is the length of the spring when compressed. The x in the equation you're using is the distance it's compressed, not its new length.

Does that do it?
  4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Yes.. that's what I was doing wrong. Thanks
  5. Oct 19, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

We live to serve. ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?