How Much Elastic Potential Energy Was Stored in the Spring Before Release?

In summary, a child placed a spring between two toy cars, compressing the spring and tying the cars together with a string. Upon cutting the string, the spring is released and the cars move in opposite directions. The 0.112 kg car has a speed of 1.38 m/s. The question asks for the elastic potential energy stored in the spring before the string was cut.
kevykevy
Question-A child placed a spring of negligible mass between two toy cars of masses 0.112 kg and 0.154 kg. She compresses the spring and ties the cars together with a piece of string. When she cuts the string, the spring is released and the cars move in opposite directions. The 0.112 kg car has a speed of 1.38 m/s. What was the elastic potential energy stored in the spring before the string was cut?

Solution-I've tried to start this and I have no idea even where to begin. All I have so far is this picture I drew describing what's happening...

Spring Compressed
----

Spring Uncompressed (at rest)
- - - -

Before
Car1----Car2

After
Car1- - - -Car2

Physics news on Phys.org
kevykevy said:
Question-A child placed a spring of negligible mass between two toy cars of masses 0.112 kg and 0.154 kg. She compresses the spring and ties the cars together with a piece of string. When she cuts the string, the spring is released and the cars move in opposite directions. The 0.112 kg car has a speed of 1.38 m/s. What was the elastic potential energy stored in the spring before the string was cut?

Solution-I've tried to start this and I have no idea even where to begin. All I have so far is this picture I drew describing what's happening...

Spring Compressed
----

Spring Uncompressed (at rest)
- - - -

Before
Car1----Car2

After
Car1- - - -Car2
What physical quantities do you think are conserved in this process?

To solve this problem, we will use the equation for elastic potential energy:

Elastic potential energy = 1/2 * k * x^2

Where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its original position. We can calculate the spring constant using the equation:

k = F/x

Where F is the force applied on the spring and x is the displacement.

In this case, the force applied on the spring is equal to the force applied on both cars, which is equal to their combined mass (0.112 kg + 0.154 kg) multiplied by their acceleration (1.38 m/s^2). This gives us a force of 0.359 N.

Now, we need to find the displacement of the spring. From the given information, we know that the 0.112 kg car has a speed of 1.38 m/s after the string is cut. Using the equation for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 * m * v^2), we can calculate the kinetic energy of the car, which is also equal to the elastic potential energy stored in the spring.

KE = 1/2 * 0.112 kg * (1.38 m/s)^2 = 0.107 J

We also know that the kinetic energy of the car is equal to the elastic potential energy stored in the spring, so we can set up an equation:

Elastic potential energy = 0.107 J = 1/2 * k * x^2

We already know the force applied on the spring (0.359 N), so we can rearrange the equation to solve for x:

x = √(0.107 J * 2 / 0.359 N) = 0.293 m

Now, we can plug in the values for k and x into the original equation for elastic potential energy to find the answer:

Elastic potential energy = 1/2 * 0.359 N * (0.293 m)^2 = 0.0156 J

Therefore, the elastic potential energy stored in the spring before the string was cut is 0.0156 J.

1. What is spring elastic potential?

Spring elastic potential is the potential energy stored in a spring when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How is spring elastic potential calculated?

The formula for calculating spring elastic potential is P.E. = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What is the relationship between spring constant and spring elastic potential?

The spring constant is a measure of how stiff a spring is, and it directly affects the amount of potential energy stored in the spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring and a greater amount of potential energy.

4. Can spring elastic potential be negative?

Yes, spring elastic potential can be negative if the spring is stretched beyond its equilibrium position. This indicates that the spring is doing work on the system and storing energy.

5. How does temperature affect spring elastic potential?

Temperature does not directly affect spring elastic potential. However, changes in temperature can cause the spring to expand or contract, which can alter its potential energy. Additionally, changes in temperature can affect the spring constant, which would also impact the potential energy of the spring.