Spring - Energy Conservation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving conservation of mechanical energy and finding the distance at which a block will come to rest near a wall. The attempt at a solution involves using the given force and the distance of -0.2m from point A. However, this answer is incorrect and the force is actually removed at point B. The conversation also addresses the issue of the block potentially being at rest at that point.
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

problem.PNG

2. Homework Equations

Conservation Mechanical Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find how close to the wall the block will come. Since there's no friction, I presumed there'd be enough energy, and only enough energy, to go the same distance d to the left of A. Also note that d=-0.2m. This answer is incorrect however. I don't understand. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
AdkinsJr said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 196397

2. Homework Equations

Conservation Mechanical Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find how close to the wall the block will come. Since there's no friction, I presumed there'd be enough energy, and only enough energy, to go the same distance d to the left of A. Also note that d=-0.2m. This answer is incorrect however. I don't understand. [/B]
Why do you think that ##d =0.2m##?

PeroK said:
Why do you think that ##d =0.2m##?
This is given.

AdkinsJr said:
This is given.
What's this force of ##18.8 N## then?

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize something was missing. The force is taken away at point B.

AdkinsJr said:
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize something was missing. The force is taken away at point B.
Do not assume the block is at rest at that point.

What is energy conservation in relation to spring?

Energy conservation refers to the concept that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transformed from one form to another. In the context of spring, this means that the potential energy stored in a compressed or stretched spring can be used to perform work.

How is energy conserved in a spring?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. As the spring returns to its original shape, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which can be used to do work.

What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to energy conservation in a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed. This means that as a spring is compressed or stretched, the potential energy stored in the spring increases proportionally. This relationship helps to explain how energy is conserved in a spring.

What factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in a spring?

The amount of potential energy stored in a spring is affected by its stiffness, known as the spring constant, and the distance it is stretched or compressed. The greater the spring constant and the further the spring is stretched or compressed, the more potential energy it will store.

How can energy conservation in a spring be applied in real-world situations?

Energy conservation in a spring is commonly seen in devices such as trampolines, pogo sticks, and door closers. It is also utilized in various industrial and mechanical systems, such as shock absorbers and suspension systems in cars. Additionally, the principles of energy conservation in a spring are used in the design of renewable energy technologies, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric dams.