1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Energy

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 50g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 30 degree slope, compressing the spring 10cm. The spring constant is 25N/m. When the ice cube is released, what distance will it travel up the slope before reversing direction.

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure where to start on this problem I thought that I should use my force equations to resolve the weiight force but I dont know where to go after that.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

A 50g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 30 degree slope, so conservation of energy applies since no dissipative force (friction) exists.

What is the stored energy in the spring when it is deflected 10 cm (0.1 m). When the spring deflects back to no deflection, all that 'stored' spring energy is transformed into the blocks kinetic energy. Then the block decelerates moving up the the ramp and gains elevation. When the block stops, what has happened to the energy?

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    so by using Force = -k[tex]\Delta[/tex]x
    I get a spring force of 2.5. So I think now I should be able to resolve the forces in the x and y direction and from there use my kinematic equation to find the total distance. is that right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?