1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring extension

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm writing a paper on one of my lab experiments and I'm not sure my physic concept is right? The question asks if the mass of a cart affects the extension of the spring. A spring is attached to a cart which is attached to sting through a pulley and connected to a hanging object of mass W (a picture is attached). From my results, the spring stretched slightly more with the cart than with out the cart attached to the spring.

2. Relevant equations

I know that at equilibrium all forces equal 0. Σ Fx = Σ Fy = 0
    Fs= kx

(with cart)
    Σ Fx = Fs –Th
    Σ Fy = Tv + Fn - Mgw -Mgc

(without cart)
    Σ Fx = Σ Fx = Fs –Th
    Σ Fy = Tv - Mgw

3. The attempt at a solution

If k is constant and Fs= kx and F=mg then mg=kx. Then if the cart was attached, mass will increase, therefore x (the spring extension) will increase, which explains why the spring stretched more when the cart was attached.

Is this somewhat right, because he said i have the wrong concept? Can anyone help me? Am I missing something?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This is a bit confused since it's not clear what object you are analyzing. You don't just add up all the forces that appear in a problem, you must pick an object (the cart or the end of the spring) and analyze the forces acting on it.
    Here "m" is the hanging mass, which doesn't change when the cart is attached. So adding the cart would not affect the stretch of the spring.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?