1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Force/Energy

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    • HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
    I have a question that asks to find the velocity of the object attached to a horizontal spring when it is halfway to equilibrium. I am given the mass, how far the spring was stretched, and the velocity of the spring when it was released.
    I am unsure of what it means by halfway to equilibrium. Could i solve it by finding the initial kinetic energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2015 #2
    Do you have the spring constant?

4. Nov 18, 2015 #3
    Mechanical equilibrium - when the net force on the object is zero.

Questions for you:
    Where would that be? Is it how far the spring was stretched?
    If the stretch was L, then halfway to the equilibrium position should then be _____?

Can you clarify what you mean though, when you say you know the velocity of the spring when released. Is the object given an initial velocity? other than 0?

5. Nov 19, 2015 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a really poor term to use in a question. I would find it really difficult to decide what it means exactly.

6. Nov 19, 2015 #5
    It said in the question that the spring undergoes simple harmonic motion, and achieves a maximum velocity of 1.5m/s.

7. Nov 19, 2015 #6
    No, it says 1.5 m/s is the speed when is released. Which needs some clarification. What was it doing before being released?

8. Nov 20, 2015 #7
    I believe at this stage, the question should be stated completely, in one post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted