Calculate Launch Velocity: Spring Force with 80kg Mass and 2kg Object

In summary, the conversation discusses using a spring to launch a 2.0 kg object vertically and determining the launch velocity. The spring is first depressed by 20 cm with an 80.0 kg mass, and then compressed 5.0 m with the object placed on top. The spring constant is found to be 68.6 and the conservation of mechanical energy is used to solve for the launch velocity. A force diagram is also recommended to aid in the solution.
avb203796
When a 80.0kg mass is placed (not dropped) on topof a spring, the spring is depressed by 20 cm. The same spring is then used to launch a 2.0 kg object vertically. If the spring is compressed 5.0 m by pushing it down, and the object is then placed on top and the spring released, what will be the launch velocity of the 2.0kg object? Draw and label the force diagram as part of your answer.

I do not really ge twhat I am supposed to do here and I have no clue where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
try using energy to solve for the spring constant.

But how would I find the energy?

[tex] mgh = \frac {1}{2} kx^2 [/tex]

But what would be my h and what would be my x?

I am not given the h or the x am I?

The x is the amount that the spring is compressed. In this case the h is the same as the x, because the only change in the masses hight is because off the compression of the spring.

Ok thanks!

Wait, am I using the 8o.o kg and the 20cm or the 1.0kg and the 5.0m?

80.0kg and the 20cm

so then I get 68.6 for k but then what do i do with that?

Force = kx
F/x = k

what is the Force...check your units.

I am not sure what you mean?

once you find the spring constant, you can use it for the second part of the problem.

Hint: Conservation of mechanical energy.

1. What is spring force?

Spring force is a force that is exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How does spring force work?

Spring force works by following Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount the spring is stretched or compressed.

3. What factors affect spring force?

The factors that affect spring force include the material of the spring, the number of coils, and the amount of stretch or compression.

4. How is spring force measured?

Spring force is typically measured using a spring scale, which measures the amount of stretch or compression in the spring and converts it into a force measurement.

5. How can I calculate spring force?

You can calculate spring force using the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the amount of stretch or compression.