1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spring force negative?

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    Following Hooke's law, the force applied by a string on an object attached to one of its ends is F = -kx
    But here is my question : if we consider the equilibrium coordinate x=0 of a horizontal string, and the string is stretched until its end reaches a coordinate x1>0. By applying hooke's law we find F = -k*x1 but since x1>0 so that means F<0, but as I know the magnitude of a force cannot be negative...so am I missing something or should I use |F| for magnitude or what ?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Of course it can. It all depends on coordinates. Have you learned about vectors yet? (Vectors have a magnitude and a direction). :smile:

4. May 15, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\vec F=-k(\vec x-\vec x_{eqbm})##

5. May 15, 2016 #4
    Thank you for answering.

In fact, yes I have learned about vectors but I personally have never seen a negative magnitude, and since as I have studied the magnitude of a vector is ||F|| = sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 ....) so doesn't this basically mean the magnitude of F is |Fx| ? ( Fx = -kx)

6. May 15, 2016 #5

berkeman

Just think about a mass initially at x=0 with a spring that goes off to the left. It is on a frictionless horizontal surface.

You pull the mass out to the right at x=1cm and let it go. What happens next?

7. May 15, 2016 #6
    It just goes back to x=0 (and negative values depending on k) under the effect of a force directed from right to left.

8. May 15, 2016 #7

berkeman

If it rests on a frictionless surface, it oscillates back and forth to +/- 1cm. What are the forces on the mass as it oscillates? Include the magnitude of the force in the x direction... :smile:

9. May 15, 2016 #8

Dale

So what direction must the force point for that to happen?

10. May 15, 2016 #9
    It goes from the right to the left, and I get that spring force has an opposite direction of the stretching/compression.
    What worries me is getting a force with a negative value, which is something I have never seen, as I always hear that the magnitude of a force is always positive.

11. May 15, 2016 #10

Dale

That is what the negative sign means. The negative of a vector simply points in the opposite direction.

That is true. The magnitude of x is the same as the magnitude of -x and both are positive.

12. May 15, 2016 #11
    Then how would I explain a stretch of x=1m to result in a positive force magnitude ?
    Let's take K=2N/m
    F = -2*1=-2N
    It gives a negative value
    Whilst with x=-1 F=2N
    So am I supposed to use |F| to write magnitude or what ?

13. May 15, 2016 #12

Dale

Remember that force is a vector. So a force of -2 N is a force of magnitude 2 N pointing in the -x direction. Properly it should be written as F = (-2,0,0) N to make it clear that it is a vector, but in this case the 0 components are supposed to be understood from the context.

And, yes, if you want to show the magnitude of a force you can write |F|. In this case that would be |(-2,0,0)| = 2.

14. May 15, 2016 #13
    Now I got it thank you very much for your support.

15. May 15, 2016 #14

Dale

You are welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted