Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spring force negative?

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    Following Hooke's law, the force applied by a string on an object attached to one of its ends is F = -kx
    But here is my question : if we consider the equilibrium coordinate x=0 of a horizontal string, and the string is stretched until its end reaches a coordinate x1>0. By applying hooke's law we find F = -k*x1 but since x1>0 so that means F<0, but as I know the magnitude of a force cannot be negative...so am I missing something or should I use |F| for magnitude or what ?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Of course it can. It all depends on coordinates. Have you learned about vectors yet? (Vectors have a magnitude and a direction). :smile:

4. May 15, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\vec F=-k(\vec x-\vec x_{eqbm})##

5. May 15, 2016 #4
    Thank you for answering.

In fact, yes I have learned about vectors but I personally have never seen a negative magnitude, and since as I have studied the magnitude of a vector is ||F|| = sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 ....) so doesn't this basically mean the magnitude of F is |Fx| ? ( Fx = -kx)

6. May 15, 2016 #5

berkeman

Just think about a mass initially at x=0 with a spring that goes off to the left. It is on a frictionless horizontal surface.

You pull the mass out to the right at x=1cm and let it go. What happens next?

7. May 15, 2016 #6
    It just goes back to x=0 (and negative values depending on k) under the effect of a force directed from right to left.

8. May 15, 2016 #7

berkeman

If it rests on a frictionless surface, it oscillates back and forth to +/- 1cm. What are the forces on the mass as it oscillates? Include the magnitude of the force in the x direction... :smile:

9. May 15, 2016 #8

Dale

So what direction must the force point for that to happen?

10. May 15, 2016 #9
    It goes from the right to the left, and I get that spring force has an opposite direction of the stretching/compression.
    What worries me is getting a force with a negative value, which is something I have never seen, as I always hear that the magnitude of a force is always positive.

11. May 15, 2016 #10

Dale

That is what the negative sign means. The negative of a vector simply points in the opposite direction.

That is true. The magnitude of x is the same as the magnitude of -x and both are positive.

12. May 15, 2016 #11
    Then how would I explain a stretch of x=1m to result in a positive force magnitude ?
    Let's take K=2N/m
    F = -2*1=-2N
    It gives a negative value
    Whilst with x=-1 F=2N
    So am I supposed to use |F| to write magnitude or what ?

13. May 15, 2016 #12

Dale

Remember that force is a vector. So a force of -2 N is a force of magnitude 2 N pointing in the -x direction. Properly it should be written as F = (-2,0,0) N to make it clear that it is a vector, but in this case the 0 components are supposed to be understood from the context.

And, yes, if you want to show the magnitude of a force you can write |F|. In this case that would be |(-2,0,0)| = 2.

14. May 15, 2016 #13
    Now I got it thank you very much for your support.

15. May 15, 2016 #14

Dale

You are welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted