Max Range Potato Launcher w/ Spring Force Problem

In summary, a potato launcher before the spring is compressed and used to launch a potato requires a force of 65 N to compress the spring 5 cm. The spring will be compressed 10 cm before the potato is inserted. The inside of the tube and the potato skin have a kinetic coefficient of 0.15. The potato has a mass of 180g.
freshcoast

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a potato launcher before the spring is compressed and used to launch a potato. A force of 65 N is required to compress the spring 5 cm. The spring will be compressed 10 cm before the potato is inserted. The inside of the tube and the potato skin have a kinetic coefficient of 0.15 . The potato has a mass of 180g.

What is the maximum range of the potato if it launched at 50 degrees with respect to the horizontal? You may ignore air resistance.

2rhs405.jpg

Homework Equations

Eo + Ef = W(non conservative)
(PEo + KEo) + (PEf + KEf) = W(non conservative)
F = ma
Vf = Vo + at
Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did is drew an free body diagram of the potato before launch, the distance the potato will be traveling along the launcher would be 1m if the spring was compressed 10cm, so what that said I applied Work with non conservative force equation [(PEo + KEo) + (PEf + KEf) = W(non conservative)] , correct me if I am wrong but I replaced the potential energy with the Spring force equation which is Fs = -kx with k being equal to 65N, I then solved for Vf which I am assuming will get me the range of how far the object will go maybe by using a kinetic equation, but I don't see how I can do that. Am I looking for the final velocity which will get me the distance or is there something else I need to find.

thanks for any/all your input!

20hvn6f.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your idea of thinking about the energy is the way to go. But I think you need to add in the potential energy stored in the spring when it's compressed and not the spring force. -kx + 1/2mv^2 doesn't make much sense to me because you're adding Newtons to Joules.

For the first part of the launch (when the potato is being pushed by the spring) you'll want something like...

work done by the spring - gain in GPE of the potato - work done against friction = final KE of potato

I'd start off by using this equation to find the speed of the potato when it loses contact with the spring.

If you have correctly calculated the exit velocity (I didn't check that) then you can resolve it into horizontal and vertical components. Then apply the standard equations of motion in the vertical to calculate the flight time.

Thanks for your input! This is what I have so far.

2dugykk.jpg

And to solve for t do I use the equation

Vf = vo + at with a being gravity then just use that time to find the range?

Hey did you happen to get 6.3740m?

Last edited:
How did you get 65N for your value of k? The units for k are N/m, correct?

In the op it says the force required to compress the spring was 65N and since work is in joules I assumed that the work done by spring = spring force x distance. Cause if k was already in joules wouldn't that mean it would be joules x m which is an incorrect form of unit right?

freshcoast said:
In the op it says the force required to compress the spring was 65N and since work is in joules I assumed that the work done by spring = spring force x distance. Cause if k was already in joules wouldn't that mean it would be joules x m which is an incorrect form of unit right?

Hey do you happen to have the answer to this? I would like to check my work. :)

freshcoast said:
In the op it says the force required to compress the spring was 65N and since work is in joules I assumed that the work done by spring = spring force x distance.

That only works for constant force. More generally, E = ∫F.dx. For springs, F = kx, where k is the spring constant (and F is the force exerted on the spring, so has the same sign as x). That yields E = kx2/2. Use the force and distance given to find k, then use that and the distance to find E.

So I found k to be 1300kg/s^2 by doing 65N = k(0.05m), and I plugged that into your equation which I'm assuming E means the work done by the spring and I have the same answer.. is there something I did wrong?

It just happens to give the same answer because the distance it's compressed for the launch happens to be exactly double the sample distance in the info provided. If you'd been told that compressing it distance x took a force F, but in the launch it will be compressed y, the constant would be F/x, and the energy for the launch would be (F/x)y2/2. If y=2x, that gives 2Fx, so happens to be the same as Fy.
After that, your work so far looks ok.

1. What is a Max Range Potato Launcher?

A Max Range Potato Launcher is a device that uses compressed air or a spring mechanism to propel a potato or other projectile at a high speed and distance.

2. How does the Spring Force Problem affect the Max Range Potato Launcher?

The Spring Force Problem refers to the issue of the spring losing tension or becoming weaker over time, which can affect the distance and accuracy of the potato launcher. This problem can be mitigated by regularly checking and replacing the spring if necessary.

3. What factors affect the maximum range of the potato launcher?

The maximum range of a potato launcher is affected by several factors, including the force of the compressed air or spring, the weight and shape of the projectile, and any external factors such as wind or elevation.

4. How can I calculate the maximum range of my potato launcher?

To calculate the maximum range of your potato launcher, you will need to know the force of the compressed air or spring, the mass and shape of the projectile, and any relevant external factors. You can then use mathematical equations such as the kinematic equations to determine the maximum range.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a Max Range Potato Launcher?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using a potato launcher. This includes wearing protective gear, such as goggles, and ensuring that the launcher is pointed in a safe direction away from people or property. It is also important to never aim the launcher at anyone and to never modify the launcher in any way that could make it more dangerous.