Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spring force

1. Jul 30, 2006 #1
    A spring with length l = 8 cm hangs in
    vertical direction somewhere close the earth's surface. When a mass of m = 10 kg is attached
    to the spring its rest-position is at y0 = 11 cm. (a) Determine the spring constant k.

i try to use F=-kx = mg where x=11cm - 8cm
    therefore,i would like to know whether my steps are correct or i used the wrong formula

somebody pls help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2006 #2
    part b) The
    mass is pulled out of its rest-position by a distance Δy = 5 cm. What is the acceleration acting
    on the mass in the moment of its release?

i got the answer of a=16.35m/s^2

am i right??

4. Jul 30, 2006 #3
    You're in the right direction :) Remember that at the spring its rest position [tex]F_{gr.} = F_{spring} = C \cdot u[/tex] where C = spring constant.

So you need to solve: [tex] m \cdot g = C \cdot u[/tex] with u = distance of strecthing of the spring (3 cm)

5. Jul 30, 2006 #4
    foir b i would say that you use the second law of Newton: [tex] F_{res} = m \cdot a[/tex]

6. Jul 30, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are correct. (Except for that minus sign. Set the magnitude of the spring force equal to the magnitude of the weight.)

7. Jul 30, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK to me. (But next time don't just give your answer; show how you got your answer. :wink: )

8. Jul 30, 2006 #7
    agrees with Doc Al :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook