1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spring force

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    Here is the question:

The only force acting on a 2.9 kg body as it moves along the positive x axis has an x component Fx = - 6x N, where x is in meters. The velocity of the body at x = 3.0 m is 8.0 m/s.

a)What is the velocity of the body at x = 4.0 m?

and

b) At what positive value of x will the body have a velocity of 5.0 m/s?

It does provide a hint : "Work is equal to the change in the kinetic energy. How does work by a spring force depend on the position? What is the value of the spring constant here?"

So I am thinking that K= 6. And that work of the spring = (1/2)(k)(x_initial)^2 - (1/2)(k)(x_final)^2, and we can plug that in for work = (1/2)(m)(v_final)^2 - (1/2) (m)(v_inital)^2 to find the velocity when x = 4. so where did I go wrong here, how do i properly solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi themanofosu! :smile:

Your method looks correct.

But (as with your other thread) it will help in future if you actually show you full calculations …

most members posting about wrong answers turn out to have made a simple arithmetic error. :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook