Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spring force

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    Here is the question:

The only force acting on a 2.9 kg body as it moves along the positive x axis has an x component Fx = - 6x N, where x is in meters. The velocity of the body at x = 3.0 m is 8.0 m/s.

a)What is the velocity of the body at x = 4.0 m?

and

b) At what positive value of x will the body have a velocity of 5.0 m/s?

It does provide a hint : "Work is equal to the change in the kinetic energy. How does work by a spring force depend on the position? What is the value of the spring constant here?"

So I am thinking that K= 6. And that work of the spring = (1/2)(k)(x_initial)^2 - (1/2)(k)(x_final)^2, and we can plug that in for work = (1/2)(m)(v_final)^2 - (1/2) (m)(v_inital)^2 to find the velocity when x = 4. so where did I go wrong here, how do i properly solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi themanofosu! :smile:

Your method looks correct.

But (as with your other thread) it will help in future if you actually show you full calculations …

most members posting about wrong answers turn out to have made a simple arithmetic error. :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook