How Is Work Calculated for Masses on a Stretched Spring?

In summary, when calculating work done by a spring on two equal masses attached to its ends, the displacement of each mass should be considered as dx/2, resulting in a total work done by the spring of -1/4kx^2. This can also be found using the work-energy theorem, where the work done on each mass is equal to half the elastic potential energy stored in the spring.
vissh
Hi :D
1) Two equal masses (let a and b) are attached to the ends of a spring of spring constant k. The masses are pulled out symmetrically to stretch the spring by a length x over its natural length. The work done by the spring force on each mass is :
(a)1/2kx2 (b)-1/2kx2 (C) 1/4kx2 (d) -1/4kx2

I tried to solve in following way [may be wrong :)]
=> the force acting on 'a' and 'b' will be -kx . Dividing the displacement in 2 parts and thus, the displacement of 'a' or 'b' is x/2 from their initial positions. Considering one of the masses - let take mass 'a' :-
dW = -kx.dx [For any small displacement dx of 'a'] . So to get the total work done by spring , integrate dW from 0 to W and the right side from 0 to x/2 . I got W = -1/8kx2 .
But the solution in book says -1/4kx2 .
I think i am wrong somewhere can you please point it out for me .

Thanks in advance (^.^)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi vissh! welcome to pf! :smile:
vissh said:
… Considering one of the masses :-
dW = -kx.dx . So to get the total work done by spring integrate dW from 0 to x and the right side from 0 to x . I got W = -1/8kx2 .

ah, if you're integrating from 0 to x, you must write ∫ kx.(dx/2) :wink:

(alternatively, if you let r be the right-hand displacement, you can write ∫ 2kr.dr, and integrate from r = 0 to x/2)

but even easier is to use the work-energy theorem, and just take half the energy! :smile:

vissh said:
I tried to solve in following way [may be wrong :)]
=> the force acting on the each mass will be -kx. Dividing the displacement in 2 parts and thus, the displacement of each mass is x/2 from initial. Considering one of the masses :-
dW = -kx.dx .
x is the total amount of stretch in the spring, not the displacement of each mass. So: dW = -kx.dx is not correct. How would you write the displacement of each mass in terms of x?

Edit: Tiny-tim beat me to it!

Thanks for the welcome :D
First, I did some mistakes [in writing above],so can u see it again :D
Second,About my taking displacement of 'a' or 'b' to be 'x/2' :-
As i think , Let the 'centre' of spring [pt at equal dist from both sides] be the origin and 'a' is on left and 'b' on right. Let we pull a and b .When the spring is stretched symmetrically by x , both 'a' and 'b' moves by same distance on their respective sides.At the end ,'a' has moved by distance 'x/2' on left and 'b' by 'x/2' on right from their respective intial positions . Thus,an expansion of 'x' units in spring.
So,I think 'x/2' is the displacement of the 'a' and 'b'.
[if i did wrong , pls explain.I will love to hear it :D]

To tiny-tim :-
Hm The answer came right from the 2 ways you told .But how you wrote that ??[Can you pls explain :) I will love to see the explanation (^.^)]
And how can Work-energy theorem be applied on it ! There are two forces acting on 'a' or 'b' - one spring force and the other 'external force 'F' pulling these masses' .As 'F' is unknown How can Work done by spring could be found out o_O

vissh said:
Thanks for the welcome :D
First, I did some mistakes [in writing above],so can u see it again :D
Second,About my taking displacement of 'a' or 'b' to be 'x/2' :-
As i think , Let the 'centre' of spring [pt at equal dist from both sides] be the origin and 'a' is on left and 'b' on right. Let we pull a and b .When the spring is stretched symmetrically by x , both 'a' and 'b' moves by same distance on their respective sides.At the end ,'a' has moved by distance 'x/2' on left and 'b' by 'x/2' on right from their respective intial positions . Thus,an expansion of 'x' units in spring.
So,I think 'x/2' is the displacement of the 'a' and 'b'.
[if i did wrong , pls explain.I will love to hear it :D]
Yes, x/2 is the displacement of each mass. But you didn't make use of that in setting up your expression for work!

You wrote: dW = -kxdx, which implies that the displacement is dx. As tiny-tim explained, the displacement is really dx/2.
And how can Work-energy theorem be applied on it ! There are two forces acting on 'a' or 'b' - one spring force and the other 'external force 'F' pulling these masses' .As 'F' is unknown How can Work done by spring could be found out o_O
You know (or should know) the energy stored in a stretched spring. That must equal the total work done by the spring. So the work done on each mass must be half that.

(^_^) Doc Al , Thanks a lot :D Got it now.
When there is further dx displacement in spring, displacement in 'a' or 'b' is dx/2 .

The elastic potential energy which get stored on 'x' comp or extension is 1/2kx2.
And this is also the magnitude of work done by the spring on the agencies at end points.
Thus,work done on 'a' or 'b' is -1/4kx2 as the work done got divided in two parts.

Did I wrote right this time ! :)

Now you've got it!

What is spring force?

Spring force is a type of force that occurs when a spring is stretched or compressed. It is a restoring force that acts in the opposite direction of the displacement of the spring.

How is spring force calculated?

Spring force is calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression it experiences. The formula is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What is work done by a spring?

Work done by a spring is the amount of energy transferred to or from the spring as a result of a change in its position. It can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted by the spring by the distance it moves.

What affects the work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring is affected by the amount of stretch or compression, as well as the spring constant. A higher spring constant will result in a greater amount of work done by the spring.

How is the work done by a spring related to potential energy?

The work done by a spring is directly related to the potential energy stored in the spring. As the spring is stretched or compressed, potential energy is stored in the spring, and when the spring returns to its original position, this potential energy is converted into work done.