Solving Spring Force Equation: 2X

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equilibrium in relation to a spring with a constant force and a varying force applied to it. The forces do not cancel each other out because they are acting on different objects. The spring applies a force equal to the force applied on it, according to Newton's 3rd Law. The question also arises about how a force can be applied to the spring when it is at equilibrium, but this is explained by the equal and opposite forces according to Newton's 3rd Law. The conversation also discusses an experiment where the equilibrium position of the spring is established, and the spring is then slightly compressed or stretched to observe oscillation and the balance of forces.
Ibraheem
Hello,

If we have a spring at rest and has a constant k=2 N/m (at its natural length with one end at origin (x=0) and the other end held stationary) is having a force applied on it. The force varies in same way as the the spring with function 2X. My question is how is it possible to start the spring moving if the spring is applying the same force as the force applied on it but in the opposite direction. In other words, booth forces are expressed by 2x how do they not cancel and how is it moving. Don't we need to apply a small force at first just to keep it moving.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must consider only forces acting on the spring. The forces do not cancel because they are acting on different objects. Your hand applies a force on the spring and the spring applies the same force on your hand

Likes Ibraheem
But what if I apply a constant force of 10N would this continue for ever even if the spring stops my hand. Would the spring apply a force of 10N immediately after its contact with my hand at the origin( x=0)

The spring would apply a force equal to the force your hand applies (Newton's 3rd Law).

Likes Ibraheem
So the spring will apply 10 Newtons immediately, but what about f=kx. will this add to the 10 Newton when the end of the spring starts to change position.

Ibraheem said:
But what if I apply a constant force of 10N would this continue for ever even if the spring stops my hand. Would the spring apply a force of 10N immediately after its contact with my hand at the origin( x=0)
The "problem" is that you cannot do that. You cannot apply the 10 N force instantaneosly. The force will increase gradualy from 0 to 10 N as the spring expands.

Likes Ibraheem
If x equals 0, in the formula, wouldn't F = 0? Since F=-kx and x=0, 2 x 0 = 0.

Likes Ibraheem
x is actually the amount by which the spring is stretched (or compressed). If you apply a constant force on a spring, for example, by hanging the spring from the ceiling and hanging a fixe weight from the other end of the spring, then the spring will stretch until, kx is equal to the weight.

Likes Ibraheem
I can see it more clearly now so the Newton's third law force pairs of an object interacting with a spring(compressing or stretching ) always equal to XK. So in the vertically hung spring case, if the spring force equal the weight of the object that is attached to it will the object stop completely or will the spring stretch more to stop the object from going down?

Actually can someone answer BlueberryPi's question? How can you apply any force at all on the spring if the spring can't apply any force on you when x=0? How can you provide the necessary force to compress or elongate the spring when the spring is at equilibrium?

UMath1 said:
Actually can someone answer BlueberryPi's question? How can you apply any force at all on the spring if the spring can't apply any force on you when x=0? How can you provide the necessary force to compress or elongate the spring when the spring is at equilibrium?

Well, you can then pose the same question about any object in equilibrium, not just the spring. The point is again, a careful look at Newton's third law. The question is not, can or can't the spring apply force. Whatever force is applied on the spring, irrespective of whether it is in equilibrium or not, the spring will apply an equal force right back. If a big man and a little child are holding hands and skating, the force by the man on the kid, is exactly, all the time, equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force by the kid on the man. The question, "can the kid exert that much force?" does not arise. Newton's third does not say how big or small the action reaction pair are. They are always equal, in magnitude.

Ibraheem said:
I can see it more clearly now so the Newton's third law force pairs of an object interacting with a spring(compressing or stretching ) always equal to XK. So in the vertically hung spring case, if the spring force equal the weight of the object that is attached to it will the object stop completely or will the spring stretch more to stop the object from going down?
This is in reply to Ibraheem: The experiment is done like this.
1. First you establish the equilibrium position. You hang the spring from the ceiling, attach the mass at the bottom, place your hand below the mass, and slowly lower it until you can remove your hand without the mass oscillating. In this position, the mass is not moving, and it is in equilibrium. So in this position, the upward force from the spring is exactly equal to the downward force of gravity, and both forces are acting on the mass.
2. Second, you hold the mass and either lower it, or raise it just a little bit, vertically, thus either stretching or compressing the spring, and let go. The mass will now oscillate up and down. During oscillation, the mass is in equilibrium at the central position of the oscillation, which is the equilibrium position that you established in step 1. At that position, the the velocity of the mass is not zero, but the acceleration is zero because it is in equilibrium. At that position, every time the mass crosses that position, the spring force balances gravity. At other positions in the oscillation, the acceleration is not zero, the mass is not in equilibrium, and the spring force and gravity are not equal in magnitude.

Chandra Prayaga said:
Well, you can then pose the same question about any object in equilibrium, not just the spring. The point is again, a careful look at Newton's third law. The question is not, can or can't the spring apply force. Whatever force is applied on the spring, irrespective of whether it is in equilibrium or not, the spring will apply an equal force right back. If a big man and a little child are holding hands and skating, the force by the man on the kid, is exactly, all the time, equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force by the kid on the man. The question, "can the kid exert that much force?" does not arise. Newton's third does not say how big or small the action reaction pair are. They are always equal, in magnitude.
Right but if we look at Newton's 3rd Law from the reverse perspective. Then if the spring applies a force of 0 because its displacement is x=0, then you must also apply a force of 0 because the forces must be equal and opposite. So how can you ever get a nonzero displacement?

By applying a force that increases from zero to some finite value.

But for the spring to compress it must receive a nonzero force before it is compressed. But before it is compressed it can only receive a force of 0 because kx=0.

The force and compression are simultaneous. There is no before and after.

Same as to move you need to change your position. But if your original speed was zero you cannot change position so you cannot move. Are you saying that nothing can start moving? :)

no..but the spring force case is different. If I compress the spring a distance x, then I put 1/2kx^2 J into the system. So I need to apply an average force of 1/2kx to do that. But how can I ever apply that force if I have to compress the spring by a infintesimal amount x before any force can be applied at all? I can only apply a force when the compression amount is nonzero. But for there to be a nonzero compression a force must be applied.

nasu said:
The force and compression are simultaneous. There is no before and after.

Same as to move you need to change your position. But if your original speed was zero you cannot change position so you cannot move. Are you saying that nothing can start moving? :)
Isn't the resulting motion SHM, impressed on a net mean acceleration? That would give a phase difference between the instantaneous velocity and the spring compression
nasu said:
But if your original speed was zero you cannot change position so you cannot move.
That would be a form of Zeno's paradox, I think.

UMath1 said:
no..but the spring force case is different. If I compress the spring a distance x, then I put 1/2kx^2 J into the system. So I need to apply an average force of 1/2kx to do that. But how can I ever apply that force if I have to compress the spring by a infintesimal amount x before any force can be applied at all? I can only apply a force when the compression amount is nonzero. But for there to be a nonzero compression a force must be applied.
For a massless spring, you do not need to apply any force to get it to move. But no real spring is massless so... For a spring with mass the force you apply to the spring is not always given by f=kx and the force that the spring applies to you is not always given by f=kx. The delta is given by f=ma.

sophiecentaur said:
Isn't the resulting motion SHM, impressed on a net mean acceleration? That would give a phase difference between the instantaneous velocity and the spring compression

That would be a form of Zeno's paradox, I think.
That example was not about the spring but just a simple motion.
I was thinking about one of Zeno's paradoxes, yes.

For the spring, the question was about force and displacement. They are in phase. Velocity has indeed a phase difference.

UMath1 said:
Right but if we look at Newton's 3rd Law from the reverse perspective. Then if the spring applies a force of 0 because its displacement is x=0, then you must also apply a force of 0 because the forces must be equal and opposite. So how can you ever get a nonzero displacement?
So look at the process carefully, as an experiment that you are performing. You stretched the spring from equilibrium and let it go. Nothing prevents you from exerting a non-zero force to stretch the spring. The spring will just keep exerting an equal force on you. Newton's third law does not say that if an object is NOT exerting a force on you, you CANNOT exert a force on it. It only says that IF you exert a force on the object, THEN the object will exert an equal force on you. Certainly, if the OBJECT exerts a force on you, YOU will exert an equal force back on it.

Ibraheem said:
But what if I apply a constant force of 10N
This question is the core of the problem with this thread. You cannot instantly apply a 10N force to the spring unless you displace it instantaneously by10k. You have to start with an infinitessimal reaction force. The intuitive response to the OP just takes you into seeing the problem as a paradox, when it isn't. The problem becomes the same as all proportional relationships (y=ax) and no one has a problem with what happens at the origin. (Even if they do, a course of Mathematical Analysis can put them straight.)

Chandra Prayaga said:
So look at the process carefully, as an experiment that you are performing. You stretched the spring from equilibrium and let it go. Nothing prevents you from exerting a non-zero force to stretch the spring. The spring will just keep exerting an equal force on you. Newton's third law does not say that if an object is NOT exerting a force on you, you CANNOT exert a force on it. It only says that IF you exert a force on the object, THEN the object will exert an equal force on you. Certainly, if the OBJECT exerts a force on you, YOU will exert an equal force back on it.
Yes. People seem to be obsessed with Newton 3 at the moment and they are trying to apply it where it just doesn't apply,

Is it that the spring force is only equal to kx when there is no net force acting on it? Because in order for me to compress or stretch the spring from its equilibrium position I must apply a nonzero force when it is at equilibrium. That means that the spring must also apply an equal nonzero force. So in that case the springs force is not kx, because it applies a force but x=0

UMath1 said:
Is it that the spring force is only equal to kx when there is no net force acting on it?
Whatever position the spring is in, if it is in equilibrium (i.e it could be loaded or not) then the force to extend it (or compress it) from that position is kx when the extension is measured from the start (equilibrium) position. That assumes the spring follows Hooke's Law.
If you plot F against the length then you get a straight diagonal line with slope k. You can start where you like (pre-loaded) and you still move up and down the same diagonal line. So the answer to your question is no.
Why don't you just read about this - for instance, this link? All will be made clear if you follow logically what the link says. It is not always made clear that there is nothing special about starting with an unloaded spring - but, if you think about it, any real spring has mass and will be compressing or stretching under its own weight. No one says you need to take that into account - you just plot the load / extension to find k.
UMath1 said:
spring must also apply an equal nonzero force
Why do you find this a problem? Any two objects interacting will have equal and opposite forces between them. This (as has been mentioned previously) is nothing to do with the k of a spring.

UMath1 said:
Is it that the spring force is only equal to kx when there is no net force acting on it? Because in order for me to compress or stretch the spring from its equilibrium position I must apply a nonzero force when it is at equilibrium. That means that the spring must also apply an equal nonzero force. So in that case the springs force is not kx, because it applies a force but x=0
I am afraid we are going round in circles. Please describe your experiment completely. If you like, first talk about a horizontal spring attached to a body which is free to slide on a frictionless table. This is conceptually simpler than the vertical spring, and will allow you to understand the spring force before introducing the complication of gravity.

Likes sophiecentaur
Initially the spring is not stretched or compressed so x=0. If I were to compress this spring I must then apply a nonzero force. By Newton's 3rd Law the spring must also apply a nonzero force, even though kx=0. So my speculation is that the force of the spring is only equal to kx when it is not accelerating.

UMath1 said:
Initially the spring is not stretched or compressed so x=0. If I were to compress this spring I must then apply a nonzero force. By Newton's 3rd Law the spring must also apply a nonzero force, even though kx=0. So my speculation is that the force of the spring is only equal to kx when it is not accelerating.
The force the spring provides is equal to kx. there is no way around that with an ideal spring. As the spring is more and more compressed the force from the spring increases according to the formula. Your force will match the spring's force at any x.

The way of looking at this problem is that one does not initially give a force to the spring. One gives a velocity, dx/dt which then gives a comparable change in force. To go from position x0 to x1 there has to be movement.

dF = k ∫dx/dt +kx1 from time period 1 to 2.
or
F2-F1 = k ( x2 - x1 ) + kx1

UMath1 said:
So my speculation is that the force of the spring is only equal to kx when it is not accelerating.
If it is not accelerating then there will be no force on the spring x= 0 and F = 0. The equation F=kx describes the relationship between the force and the extension for all values of acceleration.
Take a step backwards and start again with this. There is something you are not getting about the basics, I think. Apply the rules and not your intuition, perhaps. I know intuition can be very attractive. :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
If it is not accelerating then there will be no force on the spring x= 0 and F = 0. The equation F=kx describes the relationship between the force and the extension for all values of acceleration.
The equation F=kx describes the force for all values of acceleration. But only when acceleration is zero.

Edit: This assumes a spring with non-zero mass. That is not the situation sophiecentaur has in mind.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
The equation F=kx describes the force for all values of acceleration. But only when acceleration is zero.
That doesn't make sense; I guess you didn't really mean it. The spring doesn't 'know' it's accelerating. It can only respond to the forces on it. That force will be equal to ma, where m is the mass on the end and a is the acceleration. Zero acceleration will produce zero force, whatever the stiffness of the spring.

sophiecentaur said:
That doesn't make sense; I guess you didn't really mean it. The spring doesn't 'know' it's accelerating. It can only respond to the forces on it.
Possibly we are not talking about the same situation. I am envisioning an anchored spring with one end held stationary. The force on the free end will not match f=kx. Neither will it match f=ma.

jbriggs444 said:
Possibly we are not talking about the same situation. I am envisioning an anchored spring with one end held stationary. The force on the free end will not match f=kx. Neither will it match f=ma.
I am picturing a spring with a mass on one end and a force applied to the other. (Isn't that the model in this thread?) But, whether the other end is fixed or not, the spring will always obey F=kx (where x is the extension)
Actually, anchoring one end of a massless spring is only the same as having a very large mass on it; the acceleration will be zero(ish).
One problem with this whole thread is that we are really dealing with a dynamic situation; some comments acknowledge it and others don't.

sophiecentaur said:
I am picturing a spring with a mass on one end and a force applied to the other. (Isn't that the model in this thread?) But, whether the other end is fixed or not, the spring will always obey F=kx (where x is the extension)
Actually, anchoring one end of a massless spring is only the same as having a very large mass on it; the acceleration will be zero(ish).
One problem with this whole thread is that we are really dealing with a dynamic situation; some comments acknowledge it and others don't.
My spring has mass, so indeed, we are not talking about the same situation. I'll defer to the OP to decide what interpretation he or she has in mind.

jbriggs444 said:
My spring has mass, so indeed, we are not talking about the same situation. I'll defer to the OP to decide what interpretation he or she has in mind.
That's good. So neither of us is a total idiot. :smile:
It only goes to show, yet again, how a question that's well defined (diagrams whenever possible) makes answering a lot easier.
I am surprised that, with so much apparent computer literacy around, people can't bring themselves to do more diagrams and, even then, they do them with dreadful Painting packages with a mouse - very hard to make sense of. A picture can be worth a thousand words. ":cool:"

<h2>1. What is the spring force equation?</h2><p>The spring force equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the force exerted by a spring and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. It is given by F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.</p><h2>2. How do you solve the spring force equation?</h2><p>To solve the spring force equation, you need to know the values of the force, spring constant, and displacement. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation F = -kx and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to make sure that all units are consistent (e.g. force in Newtons, displacement in meters) before solving the equation.</p><h2>3. What is the significance of the constant 2 in the spring force equation 2X?</h2><p>The constant 2 in the spring force equation 2X represents the number of springs in the system. In this case, the equation is describing the force exerted by two springs, each with a displacement of X. The constant 2 acts as a multiplier in the equation and does not affect the overall relationship between force and displacement.</p><h2>4. How does the spring constant affect the spring force equation?</h2><p>The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of how stiff the spring is. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and will exert a greater force for a given displacement. In the spring force equation, a higher spring constant will result in a larger force being exerted for a given displacement.</p><h2>5. Can the spring force equation be used for all types of springs?</h2><p>Yes, the spring force equation can be used for all types of springs as long as they follow Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This includes both ideal springs (which follow Hooke's Law perfectly) and real springs (which may deviate slightly from Hooke's Law).</p>

1. What is the spring force equation?

The spring force equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the force exerted by a spring and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. It is given by F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

2. How do you solve the spring force equation?

To solve the spring force equation, you need to know the values of the force, spring constant, and displacement. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation F = -kx and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to make sure that all units are consistent (e.g. force in Newtons, displacement in meters) before solving the equation.

3. What is the significance of the constant 2 in the spring force equation 2X?

The constant 2 in the spring force equation 2X represents the number of springs in the system. In this case, the equation is describing the force exerted by two springs, each with a displacement of X. The constant 2 acts as a multiplier in the equation and does not affect the overall relationship between force and displacement.

4. How does the spring constant affect the spring force equation?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of how stiff the spring is. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and will exert a greater force for a given displacement. In the spring force equation, a higher spring constant will result in a larger force being exerted for a given displacement.

5. Can the spring force equation be used for all types of springs?

Yes, the spring force equation can be used for all types of springs as long as they follow Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This includes both ideal springs (which follow Hooke's Law perfectly) and real springs (which may deviate slightly from Hooke's Law).