Solving for Extension Needed to Reach Target Distance with a Spring

In summary, the conversation discussed using a formula to determine the landing location of a spring when shot off a frame. The formula included variables such as k-value and mass, which raised the question of whether a higher k-value meant a heavier spring. The expert summarizer explained that the compression factor of a spring depends on its wire diameter, number of coils, and material, so a higher k-value does not necessarily mean more mass.
SS2006
im tyring a ISP for physics which detrmines were the sprign will land when shot off a frame, with the target being 3 m away
we got this formula

d (x) = [1/9.8 * k/m ] * x square

where x is the extension needed to make it reach d (x) which is 3 m

my quesiotn is anyways, does a higher K value mean a spring wieghs more, or opposite

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
one golden question
does a higher K value mean more mass? or not

The compression factor of a coil spring will depend upon the wire diameter and the number of turns,or coils, in the spring. So, for a higher k-value, the volume will be larger, hence the mass will be greater.

The compression factor also depends upon other factors, but I can't remember what now.

It also depends on the material that the spring is made of. So a higher K doesn't neccesarily mean more mass.

1. How do I calculate the extension needed to reach a target distance with a spring?

In order to calculate the extension needed, you will need to know the spring constant (k) and the force applied to the spring (F). The formula for extension is: extension = F/k. Plug in the values for F and k and solve for extension.

2. Can the extension needed be negative?

Yes, the extension needed can be negative. This means that the spring has been compressed instead of stretched. Make sure to pay attention to the direction of the force applied when calculating the extension.

3. How do I find the spring constant (k)?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the force applied (F) by the extension (x). The formula is: k = F/x. Make sure to use consistent units for both F and x.

4. What is the unit of measurement for extension?

The unit of measurement for extension is typically meters (m). However, it can also be measured in centimeters (cm) or millimeters (mm) depending on the size of the spring and the target distance.

5. Can I use this equation for any type of spring?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of spring as long as the spring constant (k) remains constant. If the spring is not linear (exhibits a non-linear force-extension relationship), a different equation will need to be used.