How Far Does the Ice Cube Travel Up the Slope After Release?

In summary, a 50 g ice cube slides without friction up and down a 30 degree slope and is pressed against a spring at the bottom, compressing it 10 cm. With a spring constant of 25 N/m, the ice cube will travel a total distance of 5.1 cm up the slope before reversing direction. This is found by setting the elastic potential energy equal to the gravitational potential energy, rather than only considering the change in kinetic energy.
freak_boy186

Homework Statement

A 50 g ice cube can slide without friction up and down a 30 degree slope. The ice cube is pressed against a spring at the bottom of the slope, compressing the spring 10 cm. The spring constant is 25 N/m. When the ice cube is released, what total distance will it travel up the slope before reversing direction?

Homework Equations

F = ma
W = Fdx
Ws = -1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ws = -1/2(25)(.1)^2 = 0.125J
V1 = [2(.125/.5)]^1/2 = .7071 m/s
F = .5(9.8)(sin30) = 2.45N
2.45/.5 = 4.9 m/s^2

(.7071)^2 = 2(4.9)ds
ds = .0510m = 5.1cm

apparently I'm incorrect in my reasoning...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

When the spring decompresses there is change in K.E as well as P.E. You have considered only change in K.E. Rather look at the end positions that concern you most - the elastic P.E at maximum compression will be equal to G.P.E when block comes to rest momentarily at highest pt.

so what is the equation for P.E. then, cause I thought it was -1/2kx^2...

So... EPIC fail... 5g = .05kg

My answer WAS correct, the decimal place was just off by one...

Last edited:

freak_boy186 said:
apparently I'm incorrect in my reasoning...

I am not sure what you mean by that. But, your solution looks reasonable. There is an easier way to do it though. simply set [tex]U_{s}=U_{g}[/tex] without the kinetic energy.

By the way, 50g=0.05kg, not 0.5kg.

Dear freak_boy I wasn't referring to elastic potential energy rather it was gravitational potential energy . That is why your answer was off by a small margin - the change of height you ignored was small. Nonetheless it is important that you do not ignore it. That is why benhou's method is better.

1. What is spring friction physics?

Spring friction physics is the study of the forces and motion involved in the interaction between a spring and a surface. It involves understanding the relationship between the spring's elastic potential energy and the friction force acting on it.

2. How does spring friction affect the motion of objects?

Spring friction can either increase or decrease the motion of an object depending on the direction of the friction force. If the friction force acts in the same direction as the object's motion, it will slow down the object. If the friction force acts in the opposite direction, it can increase the object's motion.

3. What factors affect the amount of spring friction?

The amount of spring friction is affected by several factors, including the material of the spring and the surface it is in contact with, the amount of weight or force applied to the spring, and the speed of the object moving against the spring. The roughness of the surface and the temperature can also affect spring friction.

4. How is spring friction related to energy conservation?

Spring friction is related to the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transferred between different forms. In the case of spring friction, some of the elastic potential energy of the spring is converted into heat energy due to the friction force, resulting in a decrease in the total energy of the system.

5. How can spring friction be reduced?

To reduce spring friction, one can use lubricants to reduce the friction between the spring and the surface it is in contact with. Additionally, using a smoother surface or reducing the weight or force applied to the spring can also help reduce spring friction. Choosing materials with lower coefficients of friction can also help decrease the amount of friction in a spring system.