1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Harmonic Motion

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    Hi there, SalsaOnMyTaco here again.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 44 gram mass is attached to a massless spring and allowed to oscillate around an equilibrium according to:
    y(t) = 1.2*sin( 3.1415*t ) where y is measured in meters and t in seconds

-What is the spring constant in N/m ?

HELP: Simple harmonic motion with the amplitude A is equivalent to the motion on a circle with the radius A, and the same angular frequency omega.
    The force acting on an object with the mass m moving on a circle with the radius A with the angular frequency ω is
    F_circ=m*A*ω2.
    The force exerted by a spring with the constant k is equal to
    F(x)=k*x, where x is the displacement.
    Due to the analogy mentioned above, the two forces are equal at the point of maximum displacement (amplitude), that is,
    F_circ=F(A).
    You can solve this equation for omega in terms of k and m.
    2. Relevant equations

T=2∏√(m/k)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to approach this problem. Should I start from figuring out the Period to then solve for K on the above equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2
    Nvm, problem solved. Since i was given w=2pi/t, i solved for T and used T on the equation from OP to solve for K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook