Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring hinges?

1. Nov 28, 2006 #1
    Spring hinges..???

I need a spring type hing to do a particular job. From a closed position when in use it can be pulled open to 90 degrees and locks in position. Then can be released to spring back to closed position? Also could one open to 180 degrees?....is this possible?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's all possible. What's your application? What loads do they need to take? Are you designing them or specifying them? Are you buying large quantities? What other constraints are on your selection?

4. Nov 28, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I did a google search, and ended up at this patent:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=4524486.PN.&OS=PN/4524486&RS=PN/4524486

Sounds like it would be useful to see the drawings, but for some reason the Images section of this patent aren't displaying correctly. Maybe see if you can get a copy of it or the other patents it references.

5. Nov 28, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Another consideration is how you want the locking mechanism to work, especially what sort of release sequence you want. (Just apply extra force, or have to manually pull some sort of trip system?)
    I've seen hinges that almost defy imagination; you can get them to do just about anything. Some will open to over 360 degrees, although they are pretty much limited in applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?