Spring in an accelerating room

In summary: Delta x## appear in any of your expressions?In summary, two bodies of equal mass are connected by an ideal rope and are in a room that can accelerate vertically. The second body is attached to a spring and the goal is to find the deformation of the spring in different scenarios. In the first scenario, when the room moves with constant velocity, the system can be analyzed using Newton's equations. The acceleration in the horizontal direction is set to 0, and using the tension in the rope and the weight of the first body, the tension in the rope and the deformation of the spring can be found. However, more clarity is needed in defining variables and taking into account the acceleration in the vertical direction for both bodies.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Two bodies of equal mass are connected by an ideal rope and are inside a room which can accelerate vertically. The second body is attached to a spring of constant ##200 \frac{N}{m}##. Find the deformation of the spring when
A) the room moves with constant velocity
B) the room is accelerating upwards with ##2 \frac{m}{s^2}##.
C) the room is accelerating downwards with ##2 \frac{m}{s^2}##.
Relevant Equations
Newton's equations
I've solved all the cases in the non inertial system.

A) For ##m_1## we have
##x) P_{1x} -T=m.a_x##
##y) N_1 -P_{1y}=m.a_y##

For ##m_2## we have
##y) T+F_e -P_2=m.a_y##

As it moves with constant velocity I solve it setting ##a_x=0##. So for ##m_1## ##mgsin(\alpha)=T##, then I replace it in the tension of ##m_2## and find ##\Delta x##

B) For ##m_1##
##x) mgsin(\alpha)-f*.sin(\alpha)-T=0##

For ##m_2##
##y) Fe + T -mg-f*=0##

Where ##f*=2m##

Then, I replaced the tension from ##m_1## in ##m_2## and found the deformation. (As you see, I considered the elastic force pointing upwards in this case)

C) the same for ##B## just changing the sign of ##f*## and the elastic force.Is this right? Because I had some doubts about the sign of the elastic force.

Attachments

• 20191005_114011.jpg
    20191005_114011.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your equations. Assume that ##T## is the tension on the rope, that ##x## is the horizontal axis, and ##y## is the vertical axis. Why does ##T## act in the ##x## direction on mass 1? Could you post your free body diagrams, please?

tnich said:
I don't understand your equations. Assume that ##T## is the tension on the rope, that ##x## is the horizontal axis, and ##y## is the vertical axis. Why does ##T## act in the ##x## direction on mass 1? Could you post your free body diagrams, please?
For ##m_1## I considered inclined axis and for ##m_2## I considered the typical vertical and horizontal axis.
I've attached the F.B.D.

(##P## is weight)

Attachments

• 20191005_131012.jpg
    20191005_131012.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 151
Like Tony Stark said:
For ##m_1## I considered inclined axis and for ##m_2## I considered the typical vertical and horizontal axis.
I've attached the F.B.D.

(##P## is weight)
Why inclined? The room accelerates along the vertical in one-dimensional motion.

kuruman said:
Why inclined? The room accelerates along the vertical in one-dimensional motion.
Yes, but as I suppose it doesn't move, the acceleration (with respect to the room) is 0, so it doesn't matter which axis I take.

Like Tony Stark said:
Yes, but as I suppose it doesn't move, the acceleration (with respect to the room) is 0, so it doesn't matter which axis I take.
But the fictitious force in the non-inertial frame is along the same axis as the real force of gravity. There is no angle involved, the problem is one-dimensional.

kuruman said:
But the fictitious force in the non-inertial frame is along the same axis as the real force of gravity. There is no angle involved, the problem is one-dimensional.
I've corrected it in the first post. Is it ok now?

Like Tony Stark said:
Homework Statement: Two bodies of equal mass are connected by an ideal rope and are inside a room which can accelerate vertically. The second body is attached to a spring of constant ##200 \frac{N}{m}##. Find the deformation of the spring when
A) the room moves with constant velocity

Homework Equations: Newton's equations

A) For ##m_1## we have
##x) P_{1x} -T=m.a_x##
##y) N_1 -P_{1y}=m.a_y##

For ##m_2## we have
##y) T+F_e -P_2=m.a_y##

As it moves with constant velocity I solve it setting ##a_x=0##. So for ##m_1## ##mg\sin(\alpha)=T##, then I replace it in the tension of ##m_2## and find ##\Delta x##
Like Tony Stark said:
I've attached the F.B.D. ( ##P## is weight )
20191005_131012-jpg.jpg
You need more clarity in your choice of variable. You need to distinguish those variables used for Body #1 (on the incline) as opposed to those for Body #2 (the body hanging from the rope while being supported from below by the spring).
As both have the same mass, it is fine to use ##m## for the mass.
However, the acceleration of Body #1 is not the necessarily the same as the acceleration of Body #2. Of course I suppose that the Bodies are at rest in the reference frame attached to the room, although that is not stated. Therefore, the accelerations with respect to the room are both zero.
At any rate, it is recommended that you be clearer as regards defining you variables.

As for your solution, you state:
As it moves with constant velocity I solve it setting ##a_x=0##. So for ##m_1## ##mg\sin(\alpha)=T##, then I replace it in the tension of ##m_2## and find ##\Delta x##
What are the "it"s you refer to?

What have you done with ##a_y## ?

Where does ##\Delta x## appear in any of your expressions?

SammyS said:
You need more clarity in your choice of variable. You need to distinguish those variables used for Body #1 (on the incline) as opposed to those for Body #2 (the body hanging from the rope while being supported from below by the spring).
As both have the same mass, it is fine to use ##m## for the mass.
However, the acceleration of Body #1 is not the necessarily the same as the acceleration of Body #2. Of course I suppose that the Bodies are at rest in the reference frame attached to the room, although that is not stated. Therefore, the accelerations with respect to the room are both zero.
At any rate, it is recommended that you be clearer as regards defining you variables.

As for your solution, you state:

What are the "it"s you refer to?

What have you done with ##a_y## ?

Where does ##\Delta x## appear in any of your expressions?
Sorry
Using "It" in that sentence I refer to the room
I didn't write ##a_y## since they are stationary with respect to the room, so I wrote 0
##\Delta x## is "inside" the elastic force (##Fe=-k \Delta x##)I didn't write all the steps because I thought that the ones that I'd written were enough to understand my ideas. Excuse me

As @karuman says, the acceleration is in the same direction as gravity. So in the accelerating frame you can treat it as an increase (if positive) or decrease (if negative) of the acceleration of gravity. That means you can solve the equations once with the pseudo-gravity equal to ##g+a## and then plug in the different values of ##a## for the three cases.

tnich said:
As @karuman says, the acceleration is in the same direction as gravity. So in the accelerating frame you can treat it as an increase (if positive) or decrease (if negative) of the acceleration of gravity. That means you can solve the equations once with the pseudo-gravity equal to ##g+a## and then plug in the different values of ##a## for the three cases.
Amen to that. BTW, it's kuruman. :oldsmile:

You would think I would know that by now.

1. What is the concept of "Spring in an accelerating room"?

"Spring in an accelerating room" refers to a scenario where a spring is attached to a stationary object inside a room that is accelerating in a particular direction. This causes the spring to experience a change in its length and tension, producing an interesting physical phenomenon.

2. How does the acceleration of the room affect the spring?

The acceleration of the room affects the spring by changing its length and tension. As the room accelerates, the spring will either compress or stretch depending on the direction of acceleration. This change in length also affects the tension in the spring, causing it to either increase or decrease.

3. What is the relationship between the acceleration of the room and the spring's motion?

The acceleration of the room and the spring's motion are directly related. As the room accelerates, the spring will also experience a corresponding acceleration. This acceleration can cause the spring to oscillate or vibrate, depending on the initial conditions of the system.

4. How does the mass of the spring affect its behavior in an accelerating room?

The mass of the spring affects its behavior in an accelerating room by influencing its inertia and response to acceleration. A heavier spring will have a greater resistance to acceleration and will require more force to change its length and tension. This can result in a slower or more exaggerated response compared to a lighter spring.

5. What other factors can affect the behavior of a spring in an accelerating room?

Apart from the acceleration of the room and the mass of the spring, other factors that can affect its behavior include the stiffness of the spring, the initial length of the spring, and the initial velocity of the room. These factors can all impact the amplitude, frequency, and overall behavior of the spring in an accelerating room.