Spring in Kansas: See What My Place Looks Like

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: Sounds like you've experienced a lot more seasons here than I have.In summary, the weather in Calgary is unpredictable and sometimes snowy.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's what it looks like at my place:
snow.jpg

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
Spring has sprung!

Oh wait... :smile:

Likes dlgoff
People who have spent their lives here in Alberta know not to count out snow until June hits.

I swear every May long people go out camping thinking it'll be a blast, and we get hit with a snowstorm.

Likes Jodo and dlgoff
Well, it's May Long weekend now. And sure enough, it's snow storming in Calgary. As per tradition.

Too bad, because the Flames are playing the Oilers in the playoffs, and they shutdown the outdoor viewing of the game.

berkeman said:
Spring has sprung!
You and your biiggg mouth.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Mondayman said:
People who have spent their lives here in Alberta know not to count out snow until June hits.
When I was a boy in Illinois we had snow in mid-June. Not a lot - maybe an inch - but snow nevertheless.

Likes Mondayman
Vanadium 50 said:
When I was a boy in Illinois we had snow in mid-June. Not a lot - maybe an inch - but snow nevertheless.
Sounds like you moved away from there... :wink:

Why do you think I went away to college?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think I went away to college?
Hmm, well that's a valid question. I thought I remembered that your PhD in Physics is from MIT, but I could be misremembering that. I regularly run a disk cleanup utility on my brain to free up space and clear sector CRC errors...

berkeman said:
I regularly run a disk cleanup utility on my brain to free up space and clear sector CRC errors...
Oh, if only that was a real thing. There are soooo many things I'd like to forget [selectively].

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
strangerep said:
There are soooo many things I'd like to forget.
Don't worry. As you get older, you will.

• Sad
Likes strangerep
Vanadium 50 said:
Illinois is a bit further south from here, so that is a bit surprising. I am fairly certain Chicago gets as much or more snow than Calgary, however.

I do know that we have seen a snowfall in every single month of the year. When I was 7 it snowed a fair amount during the Stampede in mid-July, and it snowed randomly in August in 2015. I also remember a fair number of Christmas holidays with little to no snow at all.

1. What is the weather like during spring in Kansas?

The weather during spring in Kansas can vary greatly. It is typically mild with temperatures ranging from 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it can also be unpredictable with frequent rain showers and occasional thunderstorms.

2. Is spring a good time to visit Kansas?

Spring is a great time to visit Kansas. The weather is pleasant and there are many outdoor activities to enjoy, such as hiking, biking, and exploring the beautiful landscapes.

3. What are some popular springtime activities in Kansas?

Some popular springtime activities in Kansas include visiting the numerous state parks, attending outdoor festivals and events, and exploring the scenic Flint Hills region.

4. How long does spring typically last in Kansas?

Spring in Kansas usually lasts from March to May. However, the weather can be unpredictable and it is not uncommon to experience cooler temperatures and even snow in early spring.

5. What are the best places to see the spring blooms in Kansas?

There are many beautiful places to see spring blooms in Kansas, such as the Wichita Botanical Gardens, Konza Prairie, and the Grinter Sunflower Farm. Additionally, driving through the countryside during springtime will provide many opportunities to see wildflowers in bloom.