1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Launcher

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    I have designed a spring launcher for my class and it works really well using the range equation...x=sqrt(Rmg/KSin2(Theta)). So I have made a contraption that displaces the spring by x metres. I even have re-arranged and have it working using angles of launch and determining the range (R). Both work great.

Here is my dilemma, I am having issues figuring out the proper angle (or displacement) to use when the spring does not land on the same level as the launch...i.e. either higher or lower in a target basket. I am having a hard time figuring out how to manipulate the equations to include the height. I have tried manipulating the equation from http://www.mwit.ac.th/~Physicslab/hbase/traj.html#tra8" [Broken] but to no avail.

• x = how far you pull the spring back in meters
    • R = range: how far you want the spring to go in meters
    • m = mass of the spring in Kg
    • g = acceleration of gravity 9.8 m/s/s
    • K = spring constant in Newtons / meter
    • Theta = angle of launcher from horizontal

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted