Maximum Compression of Spring in Spring Loaded Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cart with a spring hitting a stationary cart of different mass, and asks for the maximum amount the spring will be compressed. The conversation also includes calculations for potential and kinetic energy and a discrepancy in the answer. The solution is eventually found to be zero due to the values canceling out in the center of mass frame.
moonbase

Homework Statement

A cart of mass m = 3 kg carrying a spring of spring constant k = 46 N/m and moving at speed v = 2.8 m/s hits a stationary cart of mass M = 8 kg. Assume all motion is along a line. What is the maximum amount the spring will be compressed?

Homework Equations

PEspring=0.5kx2
KEinitial=0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

A previous part of this question asked me to calculate the mechanical energy in the center of mass frame, which I correctly found to be 8.55 J. I then had to find the total potential energy of the system when the spring is fully compressed, which I correctly calculated to also be 8.55 J. But when I plug this into the spring energy equation, the value I get for x is apparently incorrect.

0.5(46)x2=8.55 -> x=0.61

I must be missing a step here. Anyone see what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
moonbase said:

Homework Statement

A cart of mass m = 3 kg carrying a spring of spring constant k = 46 N/m and moving at speed v = 2.8 m/s hits a stationary cart of mass M = 8 kg. Assume all motion is along a line. What is the maximum amount the spring will be compressed?

Homework Equations

PEspring=0.5kx2
KEinitial=0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

A previous part of this question asked me to calculate the mechanical energy in the center of mass frame, which I correctly found to be 8.55 J. I then had to find the total potential energy of the system when the spring is fully compressed, which I correctly calculated to also be 8.55 J. But when I plug this into the spring energy equation, the value I get for x is apparently incorrect.

0.5(46)x2=8.55 -> x=0.61

I must be missing a step here. Anyone see what I did wrong?

How incorrect was your answer?
By my calculation, there was only about 7.15 J of energy stored in the spring? I may have been wrong - I did not have access to a calculator and couldn't be bothered using excel.

The program doesn't tell me how far off I am, but it told me that 8.55 in indeed correct for the spring's energy. Though when I inquire about it, it says "Look at this in the center of mass frame and consider how there is 8.55 J of mechanical energy. What does this say about the velocity of the carts in the center of mass frame when the spring is fully compressed?"

I can't seem to find the problem, I tested it and know it's not a sig fig issue.

moonbase said:
The program doesn't tell me how far off I am, but it told me that 8.55 in indeed correct for the spring's energy. Though when I inquire about it, it says "Look at this in the center of mass frame and consider how there is 8.55 J of mechanical energy. What does this say about the velocity of the carts in the center of mass frame when the spring is fully compressed?"

I can't seem to find the problem, I tested it and know it's not a sig fig issue.

If you ignore the reference to the centre of mass frame, and proceed in the usual way, you can calculate the energy before - only the 3 is moving - then use concervation of momentum to find the common velocity that occurs when the spring is at maximum compression. From that find the Kinetic energy at the time. You then know how much energy is stored in the spring.
I didn't get 8.55 [as I said without a calculator so I may have slipped].
If the answer is different, and leads to the correct compression there is an interesting puzzle to ponder.

Yea I tried that too, the kinetic energy being 11.76 J and the compression being 0.715 m, but that didn't work either. It also didn't accept it when I tried it with what you calculated (0.558 m) so I'm really not sure what's wrong here. If it helps, here's how I got 8.55:

vcm=[3(2.8)+8(0)]/(3+8)=0.7636 m/s
v1,cm=2.8-0.7636=2.036 m/s
v2,cm=0-0.7636=-0.7636 m/s
KEtotal=0.5(3)(2.0362)+0.5(8)(-0.76362)=8.55

Nevermind, I realized that the answer is zero. The compression in the center of mass frame is like momentum, the total is zero because the values of both sides cancel out. Thanks for your help though!

1. What is a spring loaded collision?

A spring loaded collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide and one or both of them are attached to a spring. The spring stores potential energy during the collision and releases it as kinetic energy, causing the objects to bounce off each other.

2. How does a spring loaded collision work?

During a spring loaded collision, the objects involved compress the spring as they come into contact. This compression stores potential energy in the spring. As the objects move away from each other, the spring releases the stored energy, causing them to bounce off each other.

3. What are some real-life examples of spring loaded collisions?

Some real-life examples of spring loaded collisions include a pinball machine, where the ball collides with the bumpers and flippers that are attached to springs, and a pogo stick, where the rider's weight compresses the spring and then releases it to propel them upwards.

4. How is the conservation of energy applied in a spring loaded collision?

In a spring loaded collision, the kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same, while the potential energy in the spring changes. This is an example of conservation of energy, where energy is neither created nor destroyed, but only transferred from one form to another.

5. What factors affect the outcome of a spring loaded collision?

Some factors that can affect the outcome of a spring loaded collision include the mass and velocity of the objects, the stiffness of the spring, and the angle at which the objects collide. These factors can impact the amount of energy transferred and the direction of the objects after the collision.