Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring mass model

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    What is the spring mass model ? If we know atomic mass how we can determine spring constant? Is there any equation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea what you are talking about, are you talking about phonons in solids?

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    Yes I mean phonon in Solid...

5. Nov 3, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you measure the speed of sound, that is one way to do it.

The best you can do is to google or go to the library and get yourself a textbook.

Wikipedia also have a formula, it depends on what kind of model you are using.

Why are you asking this question? Is it a course in solid state physics you have now or what?

6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    yes . there is a course about nanoscale energy transport. photon phonon electron. And I dont have any background about quantum. So I try to get info about some consepts.

7. Nov 3, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok you don't need any quantum physics to get the spring-model of phonons in solids.

Best way to get the concepts is perhaps to pick up a textbook, try to ask the teacher if he knows any good one which you can borrow or recomend in the library.

I personally are trained with Kittel, which is a terrible textbook! I had a really great teacher altough.

But you know some physics of waves etc? Dispersion relation and speed of wave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?