1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring mass system

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    I always see those spring mass type questions on AP M.C. questions. Ones with a horizontal spring connected to a mass.
    I understand that at the maximum amplitude, the velocity is zero since it is changing direction, and the displacement is maximum. However, what is the acceleration like? I can't seem to visualize it. Please help.

Cheers,
    oneplusone

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2014 #2
    Velocity is the first derivative of displacement and acceleration is the first derivative of velocity. If the displacement varies as a sin function, it's easy to calc velocity and acceleration. At max displacement, the magnitude of the acceleration is maximum and the velocity is zero.

4. Jan 15, 2014 #3
    At any displacement, the spring force is equal to the spring constant k times the displacement x. So the acceleration must be equal to -kx/m at all displacements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook