Solve Spring Mechanics Problem with Hooke's Law - Vanchin

In summary, based on the given information, the new equilibrium position of the spring is 0.0301m from its original position.
vanchin
hi all,

The problem is to find out how much lower will the end of the spring be when it reaches its new equilibrium position? One end of the spring is fixed to the ceiling and the other is attached to a 1 kg mass and the spring constant is 325 N/m.

I read this problem from text. In order to find the new equilibrium position, we must use Hooke's law, right? But, I find that the initial length is missing.

Given quantities:

F = m * a = 1 kg * 9.81 m/s2
K = 325 N/m

Unknown quantities:
l = ? (to be calculated)
lo (initial equilibrium) = ? (not given in the problem)

How can i go about to find l ( new equilibrium)? Any one please help.

regards,

vanchin

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find only change in length : (initial equilibrium - new equilibrium).

The initial equilibrium of the spring is not specified in the problem, then how to could the new equilibrium position be computed?

help.

vanchin

Think for the two eq. cases

F1 = K DL1
F2 = K(DL1 + DL2) D is for delta

can you solve for DL2

Hi Mukundpa,

Think for the two eq. cases

F1 = K DL1
F2 = K(DL1 + DL2) D is for delta

can you solve for DL2

Yes, can solve DL2 if DL1 is given, but in the problem specification the L1 is not given. Sorry to trouble you. The problem is as follows:
A spring with a spring constant of 325 N/m hangs vertically from a ceiling. If a 1 kg mass ia attached to the end of the spring, how much lower will the end of the spring be when it reaches its new equilibrium position?

think about what the x in Hooke's law stands for. As I remember it is the displacement from equilibrium. If I tell you that some thing is x meters away from its equilibrium then what is the distance from the equilibrium point to x? In other words what is the equilibrium position of a spring with no mass hanging from it (no force).

If the problem says that in new equilibrium position means(sounds) previously the spring was in equilibrium with some force and an additional load of 1 kg is added due to which the equilibrium position is changed the new tension in the spring is F2 thus F2 - F1 = 1*9.8 N

subtracting the two equations we get F2 -F1 = KDL2

gives DL2 =(F2 -F1)/K

and if initially there was no load then the position of the lower point of the spring is L0
and the tension is zero
in second case the tension is 9.8N and the length is Lo + DL then

9.8 = K( DL)

I think that the confusion is only because you are trying to get the new length of the spring which is not required. the question says "how much lower will be the end of the spring" means extension.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Based on the guidlines, I understand that the lower end of the spring be when it reaches its new equilibrium position is 0.0301m.

using F = k (x), where x = l - lo

=> 9.81 = 325 * x

=> x = 9.81 / 325

=> x = 0.0301m

Am I right?

looks good to me :biggrin:

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed from its resting position.

How do you solve a spring mechanics problem using Hooke's Law?

To solve a spring mechanics problem using Hooke's Law, you need to know the spring constant (k) and the displacement of the spring from its resting position. Then, use the equation F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the displacement, to calculate the force.

What is the unit of measurement for the spring constant?

The unit of measurement for the spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

What are the limitations of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is only applicable to linear springs, where the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement. It also assumes that the material of the spring remains within its elastic limit, meaning it can return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed.

How is Hooke's Law used in real-life applications?

Hooke's Law is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of springs for machinery, measuring the elasticity of materials, and in the construction of buildings and bridges to ensure they can withstand external forces without breaking.