Solving d for Mass Attached to Vertical Spring

In summary: To find the period, you need to solve for T. [2] (2 π / T )^2=m / K This equation is correct. Once you have solved for x, and K, you can use this equation to find m. m=K*(2*pi*sqrt(K/m)) In summary, the mass was pulled down and released from the position it was in for 39.0 seconds. The distance it was stretched was d.
Psyguy22

Homework Statement

When a mass is attached to a vertical spring, the spring is stretched a distance d. The mass is then pulled down from this position and released. It undergoes 57 oscillations in 39.0 s. What was the distance d?

Homework Equations

F=-Kx
F=mg
T=2pi*sqrt(K/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by putting the first two equations equal.
[itex] -K x= m g [/itex]
Solving for x you get
[itex] [1] (m g) /-K= x [/itex]
Then I solved for m/K in the third equation.
[itex][2] (2 π / T )^2=m / K [/itex]
Then I solved for osc/s which came to be 1.46 osc/s
Substituting {2} for {1} I came up with
[itex] g*(- 2 π/ T)^2= x [/itex] BUt i feel like this equation is wrong. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not set the first two equations equal to each other, they are not equal. The two forces acting on the mass, the weight and spring force, add to give the total force which will be zero when x=d.

Psyguy22 said:
T=2pi*sqrt(K/m)
This is incorrect. You have K and m reversed.

I started by putting the first two equations equal.
[itex] -K x= m g [/itex]
Solving for x you get
[itex] [1] (m g) /-K= x [/itex]
Here the problem is that minus sign. Set the magnitudes of the forces equal.

Fix those problems and you'll be OK.

Ok i fixed the two mistakes, but I'm still coming up with the wrong answer. I think I have something wrong with the peiod but am unsure how to fix it

Psyguy22 said:
Ok i fixed the two mistakes, but I'm still coming up with the wrong answer. I think I have something wrong with the peiod but am unsure how to fix it
The period is the time it takes for one oscillation. Above you solved for the osc/sec, which is the frequency, not the period.

1. What is the formula for finding the mass attached to a vertical spring?

The formula for finding the mass attached to a vertical spring is m = k / g, where m is the mass in kilograms, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How is the mass attached to a vertical spring measured?

The mass attached to a vertical spring can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The spring scale measures the force exerted by the mass on the spring and converts it to units of mass, while the force sensor directly measures the force and can display the value in units of mass.

3. What factors affect the mass attached to a vertical spring?

The mass attached to a vertical spring is affected by the spring constant, the acceleration due to gravity, and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. It is also indirectly affected by the surface on which the spring is attached and any external forces acting on the mass.

4. Can the mass attached to a vertical spring be changed?

Yes, the mass attached to a vertical spring can be changed by adding or removing weight from the end of the spring. The spring constant and acceleration due to gravity remain constant, so changing the mass will affect the displacement of the spring and the amount of potential and kinetic energy stored in the system.

5. What is the purpose of solving for the mass attached to a vertical spring?

Solving for the mass attached to a vertical spring is important in many physics and engineering applications, such as designing and testing springs for use in various devices and systems. It allows for the calculation of the force exerted by the spring and the determination of the necessary properties for a spring to meet certain requirements.